Bourdain's Quest; Pirate Fare; Ribs; Garment Grub; Jamaican Kitchen; Organic Dogs; Supermarket Spa
Listen to/Watch entire show:
David Karp, the Fruit Detective, is responsible for the reissue of the 1929 book The Anatomy of Dessert: With a Few Notes on Wine, part of the Modern Food Library published by Random House. The book was written by Edward Bunyard.
Anthony Bourdain's latest book is The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps, and Bones. His TV show, No Reservations airs on the Travel Channel on Mondays at 10PM ET/PT.
Steven Raichlen's latest grilling book is called Raichlen on Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs. For more of his great Q'ing tips, go to BarbecueBible.com. St. Louis, Missouri Super Smokers Sweet and Smoky Dry Rub Ribs
The Super Smokers burst upon the St. Louis barbecue scene in 1995. This band of friends turned competition barbecue team showed an unwavering devotion to great barbecue from their first regional win to their Grand Championship in the whole hog category at Memphis in May 2000. Although the team has disbanded, this ribs recipe lives on. The ribs here, modeled on the Super Smokers recipe, demonstrate how a few simple ingredients and a little patience will give you barbecue that's out of this world.
Method: Indirect grilling
Advance preparation: 4 hours for curing the ribs
Yield: Serves 4 really hungry people or 8 folks with average appetites
- 4 racks baby back pork ribs (6 to 8 lbs total)
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
- Dr. Pepper barbecue sauce, for serving
- Remove the thin, papery membrane from the back of each rack of ribs: Turn a rack meat side down. Insert a sharp implement, such as the tip of a meat thermometer, under the membrane (the best place to start is right next to the first rib bone). Using a dishcloth or pliers to gain a secure grip, pull off the membrane. Repeat with the remaining racks.
- Place the ribs on baking sheets.
- Place the brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl and stir to mix well. (Actually your fingers work better for mixing a rub than a spoon or whisk does.) Sprinkle this rub all over the ribs on both sides, patting it onto the meat with your fingertips. Cover the ribs with plastic wrap and let cure in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium.
- If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center, preheat the grill to medium, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.
- When ready to cook, using damp paper towels, wipe the excess rub off the ribs. Place the ribs, preferably on a rib rack, in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the ribs until tender, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- When the ribs are done, they'll be handsomely browned and the meat will have shrunk back about 1/4 inch from the ends of the bones. Transfer the cooked ribs to a platter or cutting board. Serve them as whole racks, cut the racks into pieces, or carve them into individual ribs. Serve them with the St. Louis-style barbecue sauce.
Lucinda Scala Quinn's book is Lucinda's Authentic Jamaican Kitchen. Hungry for more authentic Jamaican? Check out :
Derrick's Jamaican Cuisine (310-641-7572) at 6806 La Tijera Boulevard in Los Angeles Lee's Caribbean Restaurant (310-419-6550) at 1041 South Prarie Avenue in Inglewood Sun Splash Caribbean Cuisine (323-29-1847) at 3800 West Slauson Ave in LA Wi Jammin Carribean Restaurant (323-965-9809) at 5103 West Pico Boulevard in LA Bamboo Restaurant (310-287-0668) at 10835 Venice Boulevard in West LA
Joey Green is the author of Supermarket Spa: Hundreds of Easy Ways to Pamper Yourself with Brand Name Products from Around the House. Here, below, and online are more of Joey's colorful ideas.
Condition your hair. Apply one-half cup Miracle Whip to dry hair once a week as a conditioner. Leave on for thirty minutes, then rinse a few times before shampooing thoroughly. Give yourself a moisturizing facial. Reddi-wip helps moisten dry skin when applied as a face mask. Wait twenty minutes, then wash it off with warm water followed by cold water. Remove make-up. Wet face with lukewarm water, spread a handful of Reddi-wip on face, rinse clean with lukewarm water, and blot dry. Relieve itching from insect bites. Applying Wishbone Thousand Island Dressing over the affected areas alleviates itching. Get rid of dandruff. Apply one tablespoon of ReaLemon to your hair. Shampoo, then rinse with water. Rinse again with a mixture of two tablespoons ReaLemon and two cups water. Repeat every other day until dandruff disappears. Rub ReaLemon over blackheads before going to bed. Wait until morning to wash off the juice with cool water. Repeat for several nights until you see a big improvement in the skin. Create blonde highlights. Rinse your hair with one-quarter cup ReaLemon with three-quarter cup water.
Engage & Discuss
BROUGHT TO YOU BY