Tomatoes, Grated and Baked - Video Podcast
Listen to/Watch entire show:
Cherry Tomato “Pie” with Gruyere Crust
(Courtesy of the Editors of Martha Stewart Living, The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, Clarkson Potter Publishers)
Makes one 10-inch pie, serves 8
- 2 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 ¼ cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds assorted cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup ice water
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine 2 ½ cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 cup grated cheese. Add 1 cup butter pieces; process until mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds. With machine running, gradually pour ¼ cup of ice water through the feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without becoming wet or sticky; do not process more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a small amount of the mixture together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
- Melt remaining tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Place tomatoes in a large bowl. Toss with remaining ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, 1½ teaspoons salt, and 1½ teaspoons sugar, and the basil and pepper; when the onion mixture is cooled, add to tomato mixture; toss to combine. Transfer the mixture to a deep 9- or 10-inch pie plate. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Roll out half the dough into a circle 1 inch larger than the pie plate. (The remaining dough may be frozen up to 2 months for later use.) Transfer rolled dough to top of plate; tuck in edges to seal. Make 3 to 4 small slits in the top crust; form a decorative edge.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg with 1 teaspoon water for an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the crust; sprinkle the crust with the remaining ¼ cup of grated cheese. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet to catch drips; bake until the crust is golden and the insides are bubbling, about 50 minutes. Bring to room temperature, and serve.
Most Good Food recipes are available online by clicking on the [Full Details] link. Sign up for the free weekly newsletter. Sign up online. Click on About in the above navigation and then select E-Newsletters.
GOOD FOOD THANKS ITS UNDERWRITERS:
Du Vin Wine & Spirits: In business for more than two decades at San Vicente in West Hollywood, Du Vin offers more than 10,000 bottles of hand-picked wine, with staff specialists in the wines of France, Italy, Latin America and California.
Engage & Discuss
BROUGHT TO YOU BY