Hospital Discharge, Part II
Listen to/Watch entire show:
What are the options when it’s time to leave the hospital? …
Here are some key questions to ask the doctor, social worker or care manager when discussing nursing home care:
- What are the goals of care that we should hope for?
- What placement options are available?
- How well will each option achieve the desired goal?
- Are there risks associated with any of the options?
- Who will provide the medical care to my relative?
- How long will they stay at the facility?
- What are the costs and will insurance cover any of them?
Once you find a facility that looks good the next step is to understand its staffing, philosophy and user friendliness. Questions you might ask might include:
- How far is it away, and will family and friends be inclined to visit?
- Is there a religious or other philosophy that is acceptable?
- Are there rules that will keep the patient from doing things they value?
- What is known about the institution’s track record with quality of care?
- Will my hospital doctor talk directly to their doctor in order to minimize confusion at the time of transfer?