I am sitting in the backstage area here at the Broadway Theater in Saskatoon Canada as Road Manager Ward wrestles with the south of great sound system here in an attempt to make things sound good for the show that starts very soon.
As you are listening to the show, I will be onstage in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I don’t think I have been there before. I thought it best that we start our show with some Thunder references! Most interesting of all of our thunderous choices has to be the Hank III track. This is some serious work. I am so glad Shelton is free from his Curb Records deal at long last so he can really pour it on. A major talent.
More of that new Iggy record for your enjoyment tonight. Let’s see, there’s a few new thangs we are getting into tonight worth mentioning. The new La Sera record is pretty cool, I have not spent much time with it yet but am digging it. I just got a somewhat new Mark Robinson of Unrest, Flin Flon, Air Miami, etc. project called Fang Wizard. So far, there is an album and a cassette single. To make things interesting, Mark kindly sent us files of the cassette only songs and tonight we play one. The very excellent Cloudland Canyon check in with a new album called Fin Eaves and tonight, we play a track from that as well as a track from the new Young Prisms album. I have to play that one a little more as I just got it but so far, I am liking it.
Way down in the second hour, you will notice that we are getting in deep with the great composer George Crumb. The first time I heard his music was on KCRW in 1984 and it was these selections. I became a fan immediately. I think it’s perfect for hour number two. It’s always great to have a Wolf Eyes track on the show, so tonight we finish our second to last block with Olson and company. I think this set echoes well off our earlier Dolphy track.
Our last block is a teenage blowout. All the songs teen and of course Fanatic oriented. A great way to rip it all the way to the end of the show!
Next week, a great concept set that I hope you like. It was very challenging to put together and took quite awhile but ultimately worth it. I hope you get a chance to check tonight’s show! May the iced coffee find you and STAY FANATIC!!!
E–mail address for me: Henryontheradio@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter: @henryrollins
01. Thor - Thunder on the Tundra / Only the Strong
02. Slim Gaillard – Thunderbird / Slim Gaillard Rides Again
03. Hank Williams III - Thunderpain / Gutter Town
04. ZZ Top - Thunderbird / Chrome, Smoke & B.B.Q.
05. Half Japanese - Top Secret / Half Gentlemen - Not Beasts
06. Roky Erickson & The Aliens - I Think Of Demons /The Evil One
07. Iggy Pop - La Javanaise / Après
08. The Horrors - Who Says / single
09. The Buzzcocks - I Don't Mind / Singles Going Steady
10. Eric Dolphy - Eclipse / Out There
11. La Sera - Please Be My Third Eye / Sees The Light
12. Fang Wizard - Moscow Syrup / Fink Beverage
13. Cloudland Canyon - Yellow Echoezs / Fin Eaves
14. Young Prisms - Sunshine / In Between
15. Wire - The 15th / 154
16. Birthday Party - Kiss Me Black / Junkyard
17. Yuck - Stutter / Yuck
18. Teen Idles - Get Up and Go / Minor Disturbance EP
19. Flin Flon - Coddles / Teenbeat No. 1 Record Label
20. The Snakes - Twelve Angry Men / I Won’t Love You (Til You’re More Like Me)
21. Rites of Spring - Theme / End On End
22. Hüsker Dü - Erase Today / The Blasting Concept Volume II
23. George Crumb – Four Nocturnes I - Night Music II / Ensemble Für Neue Musik
24. George Crumb – Four Nocturnes II - Night Music II / Ensemble Für Neue Musik
25. George Crumb – Four Nocturnes III - Night Music II / Ensemble Für Neue Musik
26. George Crumb – Four Nocturnes IV - Night Music II / Ensemble Für Neue Musik
27. Wolf Eyes Track 02 5:34 Not Our Laws Vol. 2
28. The Penetrators - Teenage Lifestyle / Basement Anthology 1976-84
29. U.K. Subs Teenage (single version) / Brand New Age
30. Cramps - Teenage Werewolf / Songs the Lord Taught Us
31. Ramones - Teenage Lobotomy / Rocket to Russia
32. The Weirdos - Teenage / Weird World: Volume 1
33. MC5 - Teenage Lust / Back In The USA