Fanatics. I am sure that most of you are well aware that we lost one of the great ones last week. Scott Asheton of the Stooges has passed away.
Last Sunday, the news swirled around like a rumor. By the time I got solid confirmation, our show was already on and I could not change things to address the situation.
So, this week, we salute the passing of the man. If you want to read what I wrote in the LA Weekly about Scott, you can go here:
I thought that it might be a good idea to not just play a ton of Stooges, which would sound great of course but would in a way, not cover the subject all that well. I thought it would be a good idea to put Scott’s considerable talent in and amongst other great drummers and in that way, celebrate the man and the music.
If you look below, it is a serious grouping of forces. If you have not dug into Sonic’s Rendezvous Band beyond what we have listened on this show, I encourage you to do so. A bit about the band is written in the LA Weekly thing pasted above. That is a band to check out. Tonight, we start and end the show with the song City Slang, featuring Fred “Sonic” Smith and Scott “Rock Action” Asheton.
It’s a big loss but we are damn lucky to have all those good records to listen to. In spite of the less-than-happy event that inspired tonight’s play list, at least we can rock hard in the memory of Scott.
You Might Want To Tune In For This Dept.: Next week, the 30th, our in-studio guest will be Buzz from The Melvins. Buzz will be bringing in the music, just like we did with John Dwyer a few weeks ago. It’s going to be live and it’s going to be great. I can’t wait to hear what he brings in. He is really stoked to do it and is assembling his tunes now. This is such a great reason to have a radio show, so we can do cool stuff like this.
Thanks for listening and stay Fanatic.
01. Sonic’s Rendezvous Band - City Slang / City Slang
02. Les Tambours De Brazza – Yooka / Ahaando
03. Max Roach - It’s You Or No One / Deeds Not Words
04. Fela & Ginger Baker - Black Man’s Cry / Fela with Ginger Baker Live!
05. Black Sabbath - Into the Void / Master of Reality
06. Trouble Funk - So Early In The Morning / Singles
07. Bad Brains - Pay To Cum / Greatest Riffs
08. James Brown - Give It Up or Turn It Loose / Revolution of the Mind
09. The Stooges - Down On The Street / Fun House
01. The Stooges – 1969 / The Stooges
02. Led Zeppelin - The Ocean / Houses of the Holy
03. Jimi Hendrix – Freedom / Cry of Love
04. The Ruts - West One (Shine On Me) / Singles Collection
05. John Coltrane – Impressions / Live at the Village Vanguard
06. The Stooges - Scene Of The Crime / Anthology Box
07. Jane’s Addiction No One’s Leaving Ritual De Lo Habitual
08. Curtis Mayfield - Check Out Your Mind / Curtis Live!
09. Fugazi - Brendan #1 / Repeater
10. Sonic’s Rendezvous Band - City Slang / Second Chance, Ann Arbor, 1978