Writing to you from the airport in Ulaan Bataar, Mongolia. We've done it before, we're doing it again. There's no way we could let this momentous date pass without taking full advantage if it's Fanatic potential. Sadly, it was on this day, forty years ago, that Jimi Hendrix passed away. We thought it would be the right and Fanatic thing to do by spending the entire shows hanging out in the glow of Jimi's great work, if even just a small fraction of it. If it's all great, then even a small portion is completely worthwhile.
You Fanatics don't need me to tell you that there's really no way to do justice to the mighty Hendrix catalog in a mere two hours. So, what we are going to try and do is have a good time and listen to some good jams. You will notice, we are utilizing the mono versions where possible.
Tonight's show jumps around a little chronologically. To be honest, I really didn't want to be tethered to that, I just wanted to put together two hours of goodness.
Many of you, I am sure, find listening to Jimi Hendrix as frustrating as you do you uplifting. As with the great John Coltrane, they both passed away at very young ages, Hendrix younger than Coltrane but all the same, we will never know what could have been. Thankfully, Jimi Hendrix was one hard working genius and was a good way into finishing what was going to be his next album, so we get songs like Freedom, Astro Man and In From The Storm. What we don't get is the result of a possible meeting of Hendrix and Miles Davis in the studio and what that could have been. Also, it was obvious that Hendrix was moving on and the next five years of his output would have been no doubt, quite something. But, the facts are the facts and we have what we have.
Thankfully, the Hendrix estate has seen fit to release morsels to us now and then. You Fanatics who are familiar with the universe of Hendrix bootleg recordings, know that there is a lot more to hear. Little by little, Fanatics, we will get further down the road with Mr. Hendrix.
For now, dig the jams, pursue this music, listen, listen again and again. It's worth it. Like many of you Fanatics, Hendrix put the hook in my ear early and immediately. I have been listening to the man since I was about eight and I'm just getting warmed up. Speaking of getting warmed up, I think that any of you who are reading these notes and know what's in store, should start listening to Jimi earlier in the day and make it an all day and into the evening thang. Whatever you do, listen loud and STAY FANATIC!!!
E-Mail address for Henry: Henryontheradio@gmail.com
01. Radio One / BBC Sessions
02. Purple Haze / Hendrix Live In Paris
03. The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice / South Saturn Delta
04. In From The Storm / Voodoo Soup
05. Love Or Confusion (mono) / Are You Experienced?
06. Freedom / First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
07. Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? / BBC Sessions
08. Hey Baby / First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
09. Third Stone From The Sun / Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set
10. I Don't Live Today (live) / Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set
11. Red House (live) / Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set
12. May This Be Love (mono) / Are You Experienced?
13. Spanish Castle Magic (mono) / Axis
14. Manic Depression / BBC Sessions
15. Remember (mono) / Are You Experienced?
16. 1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be) / The Jimi Hendrix Story
17. Peter Gunn Catastrophe / War Heroes
18. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) / Live At Woodstock