I am writing to you from my ridiculous hotel room in Kampala, Uganda. The lights are bad, the internet is beyond frustrating the water works and then it doesn't. I can definitely see myself coming back to Uganda but not back to this hotel, too silly.
I have been here for a few days and will be heading out into the territory tomorrow morning. I think I may be out of reach next week and might have to send in some kind of skeletal set of notes for next week later tonight, that is if I can get this or any other e-mail out of this place. I have only been here a few days and have already met many amazing people. One guy in particular, Deng, who became a child soldier in Sudan at the age of thirteen. His stories are mind blowing. He talks about 1982, running from bombing raids, eating whatever he could find and I think of what I did that year and it's one of those shut up moments. I don't know where he got his sense of humor from but he's really funny.
The next two weeks should be pretty interesting to say the least.
Tonight's mix is a great one. I have played it through a few times and it's got everything it needs. I think you will notice that we again have an MC5 track in our show. I think we have been doing that a lot lately. I know we favor some bands heavily but now and then, we get into one of those things. For me, the MC5 always works, those songs always sound good to me. A small concept happening with the Generation X into Empire. As many of you Fanatics are well aware, Bob “Derwood” Andrews, Generation X's awesome guitarist and Mark Laff, the band's drummer left the band after the second Generation X album, Valley Of The Dolls and formed Empire. They made an album called Expensive Sound that had quite an influence on the early DC scene. The rare LP was re-released on a not so good sounding CD by a sad label that mastered from the vinyl and lost the plot. I offered to help but the guy went cheap and you get what you get. Still, the music is great. New to the show is Tommy Dahill he sent me his CD and we're playing one of his songs tonight. Long live Browngrass music. One of the other new artists on our show is Heratius. I was given a download of their album by Road Manager Ward several months ago and just got around to listening to it. I think you can find it easily online if you want to hear the whole thing. It's pretty cool.
Before I left for this trip, I ordered the remixed version of Kill City by Iggy Pop and James Williamson. I am very interested to hear what happened to those songs now that they have been revisited. There are a few albums I can think of that might benefit from being remixed. I will get tracks from that to you next month.
I am jet lagging so I will end this here. You don't need me to walk you through all these tunes, you know your way around music as well as I do.
Now, next week, there's a very good chance that I will be off the grid as they say. If there's no new notes for next week, that's why. I hope you like it. Stay. The. Course . . . and STAY FANATIC!!!
E-Mail address for Henry: Henryontheradio@gmail.com
01. Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song / BBC Sessions
02. Thin Lizzy - Are You Ready / Are You Ready For The Boys
03. The Ramones - The Return Of Jackie And Judy / End Of The Century
04. MC5 - Gotta Keep Movin' / High Time
05. The Misfits - I Turned Into A Martian / 12 Hits From Hell
06. Generation X - Valley Of The Dolls / Valley Of The Dolls
07. Empire - Electric Guitar / Expensive Sound
08. Mi Ami - The Man In Your House – Watersports
09. Staff Benda Bilili - Sala Keba / Très Très Fort
10. Marnie Stern - Risky Biz / Marnie Stern
11. Tommy Dahill - Clear Channel / California Browngrass Music
12. Aids Wolf - Letter To Al Johnson / Clash of the Life-Force Warriors
13. Älgarnas Trädgård – Viriditas / Garden Of The Elks
14. Cabaret Voltaire - Split Second Feeling / Red Mecca
15. Japandroids - To Hell With Good Intentions / No Singles
16. Excepter - Shoot Me First / Self Destruction
17. Deerhoof - Whither The Invisible Birds? / Friend Opportunity
18. Discharge - It's No T.V. Sketch / single
19. Tralala - Everybody's Doin' Fine / Tralala
20. The Saints - Private Affair / Eternally Yours
21. Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Theme Amour Universal / Les Stances à Sophie
22. T.S.O.L. - Abolish Government/Silent Majority / T.S.O.L.
23. Roky Erickson - I Walked With A Zombie / Casting The Runes
24. Foot Village - Napaj / Fuck The Future 2
25. Daniel Johnston - Man At War / Songs Of Pain 1980-81
26. Charlie Parker – Thrivin' From A Riff Tk. 3 – Complete Savoy & Dial Recordings
27. The Lancers - Take Me To Your Leader / Lux And Ivy's Favorites Vol. 14
28. Heratius - M'Perkutor (M'.....Perkutard) / Gwendolyne
29. Le Shok - TV In My Eye / We Are Electrocution
30. Bark Bark Bark - You Could Swim / Haunts
31. David Bowie - She Shook Me Cold / The Man Who Sold The World