It’s time to check out some new jams that I’ve enjoyed recently. We start out with a Brazilian guitarist that I had never heard of previously, but whom I like a lot, Marcos Amorim. Singer Carla Hassett, based in Los Angeles, is a Brazilian singer who does some nice covers, both of Caetano Veloso (“A Little More Blue”) and this one, the Carmen Miranda classic “South American Way.”
Laura Mvula is next, with a brand new album. We hear “Let Me Fall,” my favorite on the new side. We following with the electronica duo Classixx. They’re getting a lot of airplay on KCRW and are featured in the next free Annenberg/KCRW Sound in Focus show this Saturday, along with Baaba Maal and Brazilian Girls. I like this song, “In the Fine Times.”
Brazilian music courtesy of Grupo Bahia is next, from a nice collection from ARC Music in the U.K. Tenor saxophonist Ben Wendel has a new one too, and we hear “Amian” from it. He’s from Los Angeles but currently plays with the New York City jazz scene.
Damian Draghici, a Rumanian pan flute player, is featured next with a cut from his most ambitious and best album ever. He’s an amazing player, taking this folkloric instrument and covering jazz classics with the best musicians in jazz. I am knocked out by this great new album.
Prolific Cuban pianist Omar Sosa follows with an atmospheric cut from his new CD Jog. We bookend the show, returning to Brazil, with a father-daughter combo of guitarist Sergio Assad and his daughter, pianist Clarice.
I hope you enjoy these new albums. I have more new releases and will feature them on another upcoming program.
Rhythm Planet Playlist for 7/15/16:
- Marcos Amorim / “Dance of the Five Princesses” / Sea of Tranquility / Adventure Music
- Carla Hassett / “South American Way” / +Blue / Paulista Records
- Laura Mvula / “Let Me Fall” / The Dreaming Room/ Sony
- Classixx / “In These Fine Times” (featuring De Lux) / Faraway Reach / Innovative Leisure
- Grupo Bahia / “Samba ARC” / Discover Music from Brazil with Arc Music / Arc Music
- Ben Wendel / “Amian” / What We Bring / Motema Music
- Damian Draghici / “Giant Steps” (featuring Eddie Daniels) / The American Dream / Century Jazz Records
- Omar Sosa / “Light in the Sky” / Jog / Otá Records
- Clarice and Sergio Assad / “Ventos” (Winds) / Reliquia / Adventure Music