Budget Havoc Hits State, County and City
Listen to/Watch entire show:
Governor Schwarzenegger has produced two revised budgets, one if next week's financial measures pass and one if they don't. We hear grim and grimmer predictions for the state, the counties and cities of California. On our rebroadcast of today's To the Point, with new commanders and a focus on counterinsurgency, President Obama is making Afghanistan "his" war. With Al Qaeda now next door in Pakistan, what are the goals? Will Congress, including the Democrats, agree they're sustainable and worth the cost in troops and money?
Will Afghanistan Be President Obama's Vietnam? ()
President Obama is putting his stamp on the war in Afghanistan. General David McKiernan has now been replaced by Lt. General Stanley McChrystal, "a rising superstar" who'll be leading “an all-star team.”
- David Ignatius: Associate Editor and Columnist, Washington Post, @IgnatiusPost
- James McGovern: Congressman (D-MA)
- Andrew Exum: Fellow, Center for a New American Security
- John Mueller: Professor of Political Science, Ohio State University
Budget Havoc Hits State, County and City ()
Governor Schwarzenegger today tried something never attempted before. He produced not one, but two revised state budgets — one bad and the other much worse. One would take effect if voters passed Measures 1-A through 1-E on next Tuesday’s ballot; the other if they fail. If the measures do fail, what would be the consequences for health care, policing, firefighting and other essential services?
- H.D. Palmer: Deputy Finance Director, State of California, @cccbudgetnews
- Richard Riordan: Former Mayor of Los Angeles, @RichardJRiordan
- Zev Yaroslavsky: Los Angeles County Supervisor, @ZevYaroslavsky
- Jose Huizar: Los Angeles City Councilman, @josehuizar
Which Way L.A.? is made possible in part by the Ralph M. Parsons Foundation, the Nathan Cummings Foundation, and the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation, which supports study and research into policy issues of the Los Angeles region.
Engage & Discuss
BROUGHT TO YOU BY