CAREERS AT KCRW
Positon: Full-time, salary based on experience
Strong writer? Organized? Know how to attract the right kind of attention? Then KCRW has the job for you.
We are seeking a new promotions specialist to oversee on-air campaigns for a variety of interrelated station priorities, including spots for shows and specials, distillation of marketing messages for fundraising and station events, and assistance in brand and membership campaigns.
The ideal candidate knows how to create effective on-air copy and adapt that copy for different platforms. You are a good listener, a clear communicator and know how to collaborate with departments that are often juggling different priorities.
The primary objective of the position is to market KCRW as a producer of original content and community service. To do this, you’ll need to build awareness around all that we do on air and online. You’ll need to craft clear calls to action that encourage deeper engagement, participation in events, and seize opportunities to reach new audience.
The job offers a chance for growth for someone who knows and cares about the whole range of KCRW programs. You’ll need to be as ready to talk about cutting edge bands and pie contests as breaking news and storytelling podcasts. You will be a critical voice in explaining to our audience what we’re doing, when we’re doing it, and why.
You’ll also serve as a key liaison for media partners looking for shared promotional and production opportunities.
We need you to be clever without being obnoxious, lighthearted without being a lightweight, and pithy without being preachy. Most importantly, we need you to speak credibly to one of the most diverse and discerning populations in the world. KCRW aims to serve all of Los Angeles and we want our audience to reflect the people who live here.
A facility with audio and a taste for matching words to great music will put you ahead of the competition. This is a great job for someone who wants to have his or her fingers in lots of KCRW priorities, but is not for someone who hopes to quickly shift to a different department.
- Work with our programming team – producers, hosts, DJs and editors - to create on-air and digital promotions for shows, series and special projects.
- Develop awareness campaigns around shows and projects and help adapt the message for the most appropriate and effective platform, whether on air, social, or digital.
- Work with programming and marketing teams to create strategic promotional campaigns that lead to new audience growth.
- Write, revise, approve and review copy to promote tune in or other calls to action; work with production team to identify appropriate music and audio elements to enhance promotional spots.
- Distill promotional language for shows and series, and help integrate that language into social, marketing and digital campaigns
- Work with marketing and membership teams to create station promotion for fundraising and membership drives.
- Develop messaging around station fundraising
- Help determine length and timing of promotional campaigns.
- Identify new audience growth opportunities by helping market programs (shows, podcasts, and streams) to potential partners
- Measure effectiveness of promotional campaigns – metrics will include ratings, new audience growth, and social engagement.
- Work with marketing team to promote station events and help measure effectiveness – markers include ticket sales, RSVPs and social engagement.
The position reports to the program director and works closely with the directors of membership, marketing, music and digital. We need someone who knows how to communicate and keep multiple teams up to date and on task.
KCRW has adopted an OES (optimum effective scheduling) system to enhance our promotional campaigns. This position will be expected to learn this system and provide guidance on how to adapt OES for the KCRW audience.
To apply, fill out our form here. No calls please.