As KCRW evolves from a beloved public radio station to a multi-platform media and culture organization, our approach to music must evolve as well. Music is the life-blood of KCRW. It’s in our DNA and the primary source of new music discovery for thousands of music fans around Los Angeles and the world.
As LA’s premier platform for emerging artists and shifting trends in independent music, our Music Director must be living in both the future and present of music-listening behavior and tapped into local and global passion-points for music fans. The right candidate will be excited to manage, serve and lead a team of talented DJs and engage our audience with best-in-class music experiences through broadcast, digital and in-person events.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Develop a unifying vision for KCRW Music programming that crosses genres, generations and platforms in an era of diffusing music audiences.
- Manage and evolve (when needed) the programming mix and tone of our talented team of DJs, leveraging their passion while creating the most relevant mix for our listeners and meeting audience goals for the station
- Make regular editorial contributions (both written and audio) in both digital and broadcast
- to ensure a strong point-of-view on relevant music issues and news
- Maintain and grow relationships with record labels, managers and independents
- Ensure Music Dept feels integrated and collaborative with the rest of the organization
- Collaborate with Digital and Comms teams to develop compelling content that bridges
- both broadcast and digital audiences and raises visibility for streams
- Possess a ninja-like understanding of evolving music platforms and listening behavior to ensure continued relevance wherever ears are
- Collaborate with the Events Dept to book great talent for KCRW events
- Perform airchecks, booking assistance, recruiting, event and fill-in help as needed
- Keep track of fluctuations in ratings and engagement and provide proactive solutions
- Be a great listener, manager and motivator of a talented team of DJs, Hosts, Producers and Music Assistants. Possess a clear point of view but enjoy letting others shine.
- Develop partnerships that ensure a steady flow of the best talent, exposure and distribution while maintaining KCRW’s reputation for high-integrity as the independent music curator of Southern California
Here’s what you’ll bring:
- 7+ years in an opinion-leading contemporary music organization with a track-record of innovation and progressive responsibility in a music curating/programming role
- A lifelong passion for music across genres, and a respect for its artistry, history and role in inspiring and convening community
- Experience managing passionate personalities, using empathy to bridge divides, and understanding how to be an active listener and leader at the same time
- A public service mentality -- the importance of the individual never supersedes the importance of the organizational mission; serving the best in independent music, news and culture to our community of passionate listeners, wherever they are.
- We know that the right person may come from radio, publishing, media or somewhere else entirely. We are eclectic and so are you.
- A clear-eyed understanding of regular management duties, i.e. ‘the not as fun stuff’ - time-card and budget approvals, regular reporting, hosting and attending meetings, performance feedback, training
- A desire to do something great, to help carry a beloved institution into the next era
- Experience as a broadcaster, DJ, and/or digital media publisher preferred
- 4-year degree preferred
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package designed to protect you and your family including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life
- 403b with company match
- Vacation and holiday time off
- Collaborative and supportive environment
Application Instructions: To apply, please email your cover letter and resume as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants may be required to complete testing to determine eligibility for the role. KCRW Foundation, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.