Jonathan Gold is the Pulitzer Prize-winning food writer for the LA Times. While the Southland suffers through its latest heatwave, our favorite food critic shares some of his go-to recommendations throughout Los Angeles and Orange County that will keep you cool.
Starting with the ice-cold naengmyun from Yu Chun Chic Naeng Myun in Koreatown, he also enjoys the chilled zaru soba (buckwheat noodles) at Ichimi Ann in Palos Verdes; cold bún thịt nướng at Brodard in Garden Grove; the sesame noodles at Lucky Noodle King in San Gabriel; Shaanxi Gourmet’s handmade cold noodles in Rosemead; and the zaru udon with pickled umeboshi and shiso leaf at Marugame Monzo in Little Tokyo.
To finish off, skip the ice cream and opt for the icy, cold respite of shaved ice. Not just your average rainbow snow cone, every culture seems to have its own distinctive shaved ice options. Jonathan picks out just a few of the city’s best: the beautifully constructed Mexican snowy delights at Zacatecas Raspados; Hwa Sun Ji Tea & Coffee’s traditional, minimalist Korean bingsu served with matcha (green tea) ice cream and red beans; as well as Roy Choi’s over-the-top, family-sized version of bingsu (pictured above), topped with Fruity Pebbles at the Line Hotel’s POT. And last, but certainly not least, there’s Snoballs, which does a great job of upholding the New Orleanean tradition of shaved ice.
Get Your Cold Noodle Fix
- Yu Chun Chic Naeng Myun: 3185 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90006 (213-382-3815)
- Ichimi Ann: 1618 Cravens Avenue, Torrance, CA 90501 (310-328-1323)
- Brodard: 9892 Westminster Avenue, #R, Garden Grove, CA 92844 (714-530-1744)
- Lucky Noodle King: 534 East Valley Boulevard, San Gabriel, CA 91776 (626-573-5668)
- Shaanxi Gourmet: 8518 East Valley Boulevard, Rosemead, CA 91770 (626-288-9886)
- Marugame Monzo: 329 East First Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (213-346-9762)
Shaved Ice Joints
- Zacatecas Raspados: 422 North Ford Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90022 (323-264-7651)
- Hwa Sun Ji Tea & Coffee: 3960 Wilshire Boulevard, #100, Los Angeles, CA 90010 (213-382-5302)
- POT at Line Hotel: 3515 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90010 (213-368-3030)
- New Orleans Snoballs: 4452 West Slauson Avenue, Windsor Hills, CA 90043 (323-292-3145)
Curious for more? You can also find all of Jonathan’s restaurant recommendations here.