I’ve been a DJ at KCRW now for many years, and still, the sheer volume of new releases I get sent on a weekly basis never ceases to astound me. It’s a major time investment auditioning all of them, especially because I feel somewhat of a moral responsibility to give each of them a fair shot at ear time so that I can provide you guys with the best of the best!
We’ll begin this week’s Rhythm Planet show with a CD that was sent to me from Colombia by Leonor Dely and her group, Millero Congo. “Alegria” has got a great Afro-Colombian rhythmic groove that is just infectious. After that we listen to trumpet player, Pete Rodriguez, son of the legendary Pete “El Conde” Rodriguez of the Puerto Rican supergroup, the Fania All-Stars. Brazilian guitarist and singer Vinicius Cantuaria teams up next with guitarist, Bill Frisell, on a Antônio Carlos Jobim classic, “Só Danço Samba.”
I also feature a new, 4-CD set of Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain, classics rearranged especially for Ol’ Blue Eyes himself by the composer/arranger Robert Farnon and recorded in 1962. Cécile McLoren Salvant comes next with her beautiful rendering of Edith Piaf classic “La Vie en Rose,” from Uruguayan violinist, Federico Britos’s new album, Hot Clubs of the Americas. He reminds me of the French jazz violinist, Stèphane Grappelli, with a Latin twist.
We wrap this week’s Rhythm Planet with a rather unusual a cappella version of an old song made famous by both Egyptian-French superstar, Dalida, and popular fadista, Amália Rodrigues. It’s called “Mãe Preta,” sung live here by Sara Serpa in a New York City club (listen carefully and you’ll even hear a siren passing by in the recording). Then last but certainly not least it’s the fabulous vibraphonist, Joe Locke, before we end with jazz pianist Cyrus Chestnut’s version of Lionel Ritchie’s “Hello.”
Hope you enjoy these ten new music treats. More new releases to follow next week!
Rhythm Planet Playlist for 06/05/15
- Leonor Dely & Millero Congo / “Alegria” / Esto Es Fe / Rinaldi Sound Records
- Pete Rodriguez / “Sombras Que Paso” / El Conde Negro / Destiny Records
- Vinicius Cantuaria / “Só Danço Samba” / Vinicius Canta Antônio Carlos Jobim / Sunnyside Communications
- Giovanni Guidi Trio / “Quizas Quizas Quizas” / This is the Day / ECM Records
- Frank Sinatra / “We’ll Gather Lilacs” / Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain / Universal
- Federico Britos feat. Cécile McLoren Salvant / “La Vie en Rose” / Hot Clubs of the Americas / 3 Knocks Entertainment
- Lorin Cohen feat. Victor Provost / “Always in My Heart” / Home / Origin
- Sara Serpa & Ran Blake / “Mãe Preta” / Kitano Noir / Sunnyside Communications
- Joe Locke / “Love is a Planchette” / Love is a Pendulum / Motéma Records
- Cyrus Chestnut / “Hello” / A Million Colors in Your Mind / HighNote Records