Here are some of the bands on my radar for SXSW 2011:
1) Foster & The People — They have a great fun pop sound. I have listened to a few of their records so it will be really fun to see them live!
Stream Foster the People’s “Helena Beat”
2) Theophilus London – He will be performing fresh rocking gigs all across the globe. I remember him reaching out to me about a year ago and hanging out in my living room. After nonstop touring, a Mountain Dew commercial and gaining 23,529 Twitter followers, it will be fun to reconnect.
3) Phantogram — Should be exciting. Another great band I discovered via an incredible music video for “When I’m Small“.
4) Mount Kimbie — They come to the States direct from the UK. After numerous greats songs, including a collaboration with James Blake, I’m excited to hear what they have in store.
5) Jamie Woon — He is actually opening for Mount Kimbie at The Windish Agency House at 501 Studios. He is an artist I have had in rotation for the past few months. Jamie sings with his amazing soulful voice and incorporates samples into his live shows.
In addition to the bands, there are also panels taking place. I have never really been into panels, until I attended the New Music Seminar hosted by Jason Bentley a few weeks back. With that in mind, I’m looking forward to stopping by the Golden Ears panel, with includes KCRW’s own Garth Trinidad, and hear music executives discuss exactly what “progressive” is.
— Anthony Valadez