Fanatic! I’m at the San Francisco International Airport. A four hour wait for my next flight. I have been instructed by my boss at the LA Weekly to please file the show notes early because of the holiday, so today, 11-18-17, 0925 hrs., I’m clacking away. By the time this show airs, I’ll be in Europe.
This will mark the end of our November shows. I started work on the December shows in Manila and Taipei. I played them over and over in the hotel rooms I was living in and I think they sound good.
We don’t usually start with an instrumental but New Career In A New Town kept talking to me and I knew it had to be the first track of the show. As much as I like David Bowie’s voice, New Career In A New Town is one of my favorite tracks of his. I think it puts our show on good footing.
How many times a year do we play Funtime from The Idiot?! You don’t mind, do you? It’s one of those tracks that works any time and I think it’s almost impossible to get tired of.
Fanatic, you gotta check out Ian Svenonious’s new album, yes, his FOURTH ONE THIS YEAR. It’s a new thing he’s doing called Escape-ism. The album is on Merge, it’s called Introduction To Escape-ism. It is so cool. I had a chance to rock the vinyl twice so far. We’ll be plugging in tracks soon. I wrote Ian two nights ago. He was in London, doing something. Introduction To Escape-ism, easily one of my favorite albums of the year, and it came in so late!
Remember Pere Ubu, Wednesday December 6 at the Echo. I told David I would be there but then I got some work and had to jump. I was really looking forward to the show. Pere Ubu is always worth checking out. I’ve seen them a lot of times and hate to miss them.
Thanks to Matt Sweeney, I got turned onto the band Songhoy Blues album, Resistance. I was listening to it a few days ago and hear this familiar voice. What is Iggy doing on this record?! I wrote his manager and asked. He said that Iggy has been playing them on his BBC Radio 6 show and they got together. Pretty cool track. I’ll put it into one of the shows for next year.
Next year? That’s right, Fanatic. All the December shows are with Engineer X and Engineer Am-Rock. I had to start working ahead, due to schedule. They’re good and I think you’re going to dig them. Until next week, Dank u wel.
Get some records and STAY FANATIC!!!
01. David Bowie - New Career In A New Town / Low
02. Iggy Pop – Funtime / Shot Myself Up
03. Señor Coconut - Showroom Dummies / El Baile Alemán
04. Metal Urbain - Pop Poubelle / Les Hommes Morts Sont Dangereux
05. PJ Harvey – Harder / Send His Love To Me
06. Moody Beach – Hawaii / EP
07. The World – Itch / First World Record
08. Pere Ubu - Red Eye Blues / 20 Years In A Montana Missile Silo
09. The Cravats - Big Red Car / Dustbin Of Sound
10. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Red House (mono) / Are You Experienced
11. The Jesus & Mary Chain - The Living End / Psychocandy
12. Pikacyu-Makoto - Castle of Sand / Galaxilympics
13. Nico - Lawns Of Dawns / The Marble Index
14. John Cale - Paris 1919 / Fragments Of A Rainy Season
15. Lou Reed - Berlin / Take No Prisoners
01. Iron Knowledge - Show Stopper / single 1972
02. The Melvins - Set Me Straight / Houdini
03. The Razors – Enemy / single
04. Einstürzende Neubauten - Einsame Wölfin / 1981-1982 Livematerial
05. Mi-Gu – Feelings / Pulling From Above
06. Dee Dee Ramone - Rock And Roll Vacation In LA / Hop Around
07. Devo - Shrivel Up / Hardcore Devo Vol.
08. Chain & the Gang - Temporary Insanity / Experimental Music
09. Robert Rental - A.C.C. / Business Unusual Compilation LP
10. Molly Nilsson - After Life / Imaginations
11. Yangon Sein Kyi Moe - The Tune Of The First Entertainment / Princess Nicotine
12. The Ty Segall Band - Wave Goodbye / Slaughterhouse
13. Klaus Schulze - Loch im Meer / La Vie Electronique 1
14. The Oh Sees - Cooling Tower / Orc
15. Die Haut & Nick Cave - Pleasure Is The Boss / Burnin’ The Ice
16. Conrad Schnitzler – Elektroklang / Auf Dem Schwarzen Kanal EP