The Thanksgiving holiday celebrates the supposedly peaceful partnership between early European settlers and the natives who lived in America first. But while much of the country sits down to dinner, a very different historical pattern is playing out again near Cannon Ball, North Dakota. A Native American protest against an oil pipeline has been met with tear gas, water cannons and rubber bullets. It's aroused attention all over the world. As Jane Fonda plans to serve the protesters thanksgiving dinner, can President Obama make a lasting difference? We get an update.
American-Indian wars, 21st century style
- Sandy Tolan - University of Southern California / Los Angeles Times - @sandy_tolan
- Charon Asetoyer - Native American Women's Health Education Resource Center - @charonasetoyer
- Tom Seng - University of Tulsa - @utulsa
- Tom Disselhorst - attorney
- Mark Trahant - University of North Dakota - @TrahantReports