In 2008, voters passed Proposition 8, enacting a ban on same-sex marriage. A federal district court overturned the measure, and then-Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown refused to defend it. It was the proposition's supporters who took it up to the US Supreme Court, but it ruled today they lacked "standing." That means the district court ruling remains in effect. This morning, current Attorney General, Kamela Harris, told a press conference, "The wedding bells will ring."
Same-Sex Marriage in California
- Tara Borelli - Lambda Legal - @LambdaLegal
- Miguel Topete-Hernandez - domestic partner of Cesar Hernandez-Topete
- Eric Manriquez - husband of Juan Rivera
- Alice Hermann - gay rights movement
- Doug Napier - Alliance Defending Freedom - @AllianceDefends
- Sonja Petek - Public Policy Institute of California - @PPICnotes