The Wild West Meets the Wild East
Listen to/Watch entire show:
Much of US manufacturing is being outsourced to the Chinese, but when it comes to architecture, they are hiring -- from the US and beyond. We hear from Los Angeles architects working in China and from USC's new Dean, Qingyun Ma. Plus, Thom Mayne on the late George Yu, Andrew Blum on the iPhone and Dreamliner, and Caroline Graham on her favorite pool, the Santa Monica Swim Center.
George Yu (1964-2007) founded George Yu Architects in 1992 and was a faculty member at SCI-Arc. He was also a frequent guest on DnA; Yu can be heard discussing the 2004 Venice Biennale and the Honda Advanced Design Center. Last week, Yu was also remembered by the Los Angeles Times, SCI-Arc, and The Architect's Newspaper.
Banner image: Qingyun Ma, Dean of Architecture at USC
- Thom Mayne: Architect and principal of Morphosis Architects
- Qingyun Ma: Dean of USC's School of Architecture
- Scott Hunter: Senior Associate with NBBJ
- James Mary O'Connor: Principal of Moore Ruble Yudell Architects
- Herb Nadel: Chairman of Nadel Architects
- Ron Altoon: Partner at Altoon + Porter Architects
- Grace Cheng: Principal at RTKL Associates, Inc.
- Andrew Blum: design writer and editor, @ajblum
- Caroline Graham: Principal of C4 Consulting
Click the Full Details link to view the complete transcript. Tapes are not available.
Engage & Discuss
BROUGHT TO YOU BY