Check out tonight's show list! We have been given the brand new Deerhoof album, Deerhoof vs. Evil, to play in its entirety, weeks before its release. Thank you to the band and to their wonderful press liaison, Marisa. We are so happy to be able to lay all thirty two minutes and forty-seven seconds of it on you. The band is coming to town at the Echoplex on the 29th of this month. I think we will have some tickets to give away next week, so get ready for that.
On either side of all that Deerhoof, we have a lot of great music. I think we manage to hit almost every corner of the record store before we get to the 'Hoof. It's been a long time since we have rocked some Hawkwind, so we had to take care of that. Comets On Fire, absolutely. Blind Willie McTell into Melt-Banana into Curtis Mayfield? This is how we do it!
Deerhoof vs. Evil distinguishes itself by being a record the band recorded, mixed and mastered on their own in rehearsal places and basements. If you are a fan of the band, I think you will dig their new album. I am looking forward to their show here.
If you notice, we are rockin' some Melvins in our post-Deerhoof refractory period. I am sure you know that the band is playing at Spaceland every Friday of this month, a different album every week. Also, I am sure that by this point, you noticed that we played two Blonde Redhead tracks as well. A bit of call and response from my personal favorite album of theirs.
We end this amazing two hours with John Cale. You remember him from some band called the Velvet Underground. He is still making records that matter. It is to my great regret that I missed his last trip through Los Angeles late last year. I don't know how many times I have seen him play. Every time, he was incredible.
You have to admit, it's twenty-nine great tracks. Not to be missed. If you are going to see Jandek at the Crystal Cove Auditorium at UC Irvine, on this evening, then check this show on archive at KCRW.com.
Rock the Code Orange and STAY FANATIC!!!
E-mail address for Henry: HenryOnTheRadio@gmail.com
01. Hawkwind – Motorhead / Warrior On The Edge Of Time
02. Hawnay Troof – People Talk – Dollar And Deed
03. Motorhead – Louie, Louie / All The Aces: Best Of
04. Blonde Redhead – Hated Because Of Great Qualities / Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons
05. The Fall – I Am Damo Suzuki / This Nation's Saving Grace
06. Comets On Fire – Got A Feelin' / Comets On Fire
07. Johnny Hartman – When I Get The Time / The Johnny Hartman Collection
08. High On Fire – Holy Flames Of The Firespitter / Snakes For The Divine
09. Joe Meek – I Hear A New World / I Hear A New World
10. Julius Hemphill – Lyric / Coon Bidness
11. Blind Willie McTell – Atlanta Strut / Complete Recorded Works
12. Melt-Banana – What Do You Slaughter Next? / Scratch Or Stitch
13. Curtis Mayfield – You Must Believe Me / Love
14. Deerhoof - Qui Dorm, Només Somia / Deerhoof vs. Evil
15. Deerhoof – Behold a Marvel in the Darkness / Deerhoof vs. Evil
16. Deerhoof – The Merry Barracks / Deerhoof vs. Evil
17. Deerhoof – No One Asked to Dance / Deerhoof vs. Evil
18. Deerhoof – Let's Dance the Jet / Deerhoof vs. Evil
19. Deerhoof – Super Duper Rescue Heads! / Deerhoof vs. Evil
20. Deerhoof – Must Fight Current / Deerhoof vs. Evil
21. Deerhoof – Secret Mobilization / Deerhoof vs. Evil
22. Deerhoof – Hey I Can / Deerhoof vs. Evil
23. Deerhoof – C'Moon / Deerhoof vs. Evil
24. Deerhoof – I Did Crimes for You / Deerhoof vs. Evil
25. Deerhoof - Almost Everyone, Almost Always / Deerhoof vs. Evil
26. Hella - Friends Don't Let Friends Win / There's No 666 In Outer Space
27. Blonde Redhead - Loved Despite Of Great Faults / Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons
28. Melvins - Set Me Straight / Houdini
29. John Cale - Perfect / Black Acetate