It's time to check out some new releases once again; I feel remiss if I don't share my favorites on a regular basis. So...let's start with a trio of Cuban groups. The first is a young singer becoming more popular both in and outside of Cuba, Daymé Arocena. Recording on the U.K. Brownswood label should help her get into the clubs and spaces that book Cuban artists. Next up, The Gypsy Cuban Project, a cross-cultural collaboration between a Romanian gypsy band working with Cuban musicians. It makes you realize that with music, almost anything is possible, underscoring the fact that music is the universal language. Third in this trio is Canadian multi-reed player Jane Bunnett and her Cuban band, Maqueque.
We move on to feature a great live show from Dizzy Gillespie and friends, recorded in Montreal in tribute to Charlie Parker. Check out James Moody's flute solo; it's a tour de force. Jazz trumpeter Wallace Roney next conjures the musical spirit of Miles Davis on his song "Observance" from a new HighNote album called A Place in Time.
We then turn to a trio of guitarists, beginning with Portuguese guitarist Louis Simão. Listen here for the influence of Brazilian composer Guinga, with whom Simão has worked. Hungarian guitarist Zsófia Boros follows with the track "Fantasie," written by the Azerbaijani composer Franghiz Ali-Zadeh from her new ECM album, Local Objects. The third guitarist is veteran jazz ace John Abercrombie on the new album Up and Coming that features him playing electric guitar without a pick, giving the sound a softer, gentler edge. Make no mistake, however; Abercrombie is an amazing jazz artist.
Finally, we showcase two fine Los Angeles-based groups. First up is Bob Mintzer's All L.A. Band. Saxophonist Mintzer will perform at the Moss Theater at The New Roads School on Friday, February 10, at 7:30 p.m. in a show that also features Peter Erskine, Joey Alexander, and others in a benefit for the Jazz Bakery. We close with jazz harpist Carol Robbins who jams with the creme-de-la creme of L.A. jazz musicians, with her on the big Lyon & Healy French harp.
Rhythm Planet Playlist for 2/10/17:
- Daymé Arocena / “Negra Caridad” / Cubafonia / Brownswood Recordings
- The Gypsy Cuban Project / “Hopai Diri Da” / Havana Night Sessions at Abdala Studios / Universal Records
- Jane Bunnett and Maqueque / “El Chivo” / Oddara / Linus Entertainment
- Dizzy Gillespie and Friends / “Darben the Redd Foxx” / Concert of the Century – A Tribute to Charlie Parker / Justin Time Records
- Wallace Roney / “Observance” / A Place in Time / HighNote
- Louis Simão / “Retratos, Cartas e Cinzas” / A Luz / Simaomusic
- Zsófia Boros / “Ali Zadeh: Fantasie” / Local Objects / ECM Records
- John Abercrombie Quartet / “Flipside” / Up and Coming / ECM Records
- Bob Mintzer All L.A. Band and Peter Erskine / “Home Basie” / All L.A. Band / Fuzzy Music
- Carol Robbins / “Trekker” featuring Gary Novak / Taylor Street / Jazzcats