This week Rhythm Planet revisits a lot of the great South African music that appeared in the 1980s and was a weapon against the oppression of apartheid. Featured artists include Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Miriam Makeba, Letta Mbulu, and others. There is also the original 1939 recording of Mbube by Solomon Linda, which became a big hit in America in the 1960s, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".
Read more on Tom Schnabel's Rhythm Planet Blog.
- The Manhattan Brothers With Merry / Playing On The Mountain Side / Jazz and Hot Dance In South Africa 1946 – 1959 / Harlequin
- Solomon Linda’s Original Evening Birds / Mbube / The Story of Solomon Linda / Gallo
- Miriam Makeba / The Click Song / Miriam Makeba / RCA
- Hugh Masakela / Mandela: Bring Him Back Home / Hope / Triloka
- Johnny & Sipho / Inkunzi Ayi Hlabi Ngokusima / Rhythm Of Resistance / Shanachie
- Johnny Clegg & Savuka / Asimbonanga / In My African Dream / Rhythm Safari
- Tony Bird / Sorry Africa / Sorry Africa / Rounder
- Peter Gabriel / Biko / Plays Live / Geffen
- Ladysmith Black Mambazo / Long Walk To Freedom / Long Walk To Freedom / Heads Up
- Nelson Mandela / Free At Last / Amandla! Soundtrack / Lions Gate
- Letta Mbulu / Common Ground / An Evening Of African Music / Radio Canada International
- Eric Bibb / Mandela Is Free / Home To Me / Earthbeat! Records
- Brenda Fassie & Joy / State Of Independence / 12″ / Island
Los Hacheros (Selection for Rhythm Planet Angel Club)