Barack Obama Begins His Second Term
Listen to/Watch entire show:
Barack Hussein Obama was inaugurated today for his second term, with an inaugural speech that looked to the future. Also, the First Lady and the Obama family.
Banner image: Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts administers the oath of office to President Barack Obama during the Inaugural swearing-in ceremony at the US Capitol in Washington, DC, January 21, 2013. Official White House Photo by Sonya N. Hebert
Spotlight on Michelle Obama ()
A conversation with cultural critics about First Lady Michelle Obama.
Barack Obama Begins His Second Term ()
America's first black president was sworn in for a second term today, on the national holiday dedicated to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Barack Obama's traditional call for unity and equality echoed King's words at the same time he acknowledged what he called, "skepticism of central authority." He renewed commitments to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, promised response to climate change and emphasized the equality of gay Americans. Did he reach out to Republicans or challenge them to more political conflict?
- Glenn Thrush: Politico.com, @GlennThrush
- Yohuru Williams: Fairfield University, @YohuruWilliams
- Taylor Branch: Pulitzer Prize-winning author and historian, @taylorbranch
- Mary Kate Cary: US News and World Report, @mkcary
- Samuel Popkin: University of California, San Diego, @SamPopkin
- Cheryl Contee: Jack and Jill Politics, @ch3ryl
Engage & Discuss
BROUGHT TO YOU BY