Host, Morning Becomes Eclectic
Music is the life-blood of KCRW—and Morning Becomes Eclectic is the station’s signature morning music show. MBE engages thousands of fans and commuters each morning in Los Angeles and around the world. Musical relevance and integrity, regardless of genre, is the cornerstone of Morning Becomes Eclectic: through a combination of new releases, eclectic playlists, live performances and interviews, MBE has become the premier launchpad for emerging artists and music discovery in Southern California. The ideal host has an understanding not only of new releases, but also their place in the greater context of music history; a hunger to go back in time for new discoveries as much as looking to the future.
As we continue to evolve, it is critical that Morning Becomes Eclectic and its host reflect Los Angeles, the diversity and vibrancy of our community, and provide guidance and context for the evolution of leading- edge music. The ideal candidate will not only be voracious for emerging artists and shifting trends in music, but must be living in both the present and future of listening behavior, to bridge generations, communities and formats.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Be a public-facing champion for KCRW, KCRW Music, and the local music community
- Uncover and elevate the best new artists and introduce them to a hungry audience across channels as KCRW’s primary engine for music discovery
- Develop a compelling and unifying voice that crosses genres, generations and platforms in an era of diffusing music audiences
- Increase both radio ratings and digital engagement to meet audience goals
- Use your platform to energize the community to become KCRW members through pledge drives and year round
- Work with Program Director for Music to experiment with format to maximize relevance and audience engagement
- Reflect and connect with the Los Angeles community
- Be a thoughtful collaborator across departments to meet the goals of the many stakeholders of the station
- Grow digital reach to extend the KCRW Music brand and the power of MBE
- Make editorial contributions as needed for digital channels (both written & audio) to ensure a strong point-of-view on relevant music issues and news
- Collaborate with the production and promotions team to extend the reach and influence of MBE
- Be a positive point of connection with artists, record labels, managers, independents and change-makers in the Southern California music community
- Possess a ninja-like understanding of evolving music platforms and listening behavior to ensure continued relevance wherever ears are
- Collaborate with the events team, as asked, to help book talent or make appearances at events
- Work with the Program Director for Music to develop a plan and style for introducing new music and evolving live performances
- Be a great listener. Be thoughtful about promoting other DJs, live streams and events. Possess a clear point of view but enjoy letting others shine.
- Remember that passion and humility can co-exist, and should, in public service
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Either the experience of, or a clear path to being, an opinion-leading DJ/host/personality/voice with a charismatic style, and knack for cultural context and analysis
- A lifelong passion for music across genres; a respect for its artistry, history & role in inspiring and convening community
- A desire to practice, refine and perfect your delivery to make each listener feel a personal connection with you
- A public service mentality—the importance of the individual never supersedes the importance of the organizational mission: serving the best in independent music, news and culture to our community of passionate listeners, wherever they are.
- Demonstrable interest in radio, music, digital media, or equivalent field
- A desire to do something great, to help guide a beloved institution into the next era
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life
- 403b with company match
- Collaborative and supportive environment
Application Instructions: To apply, please email your cover letter, resume and air check as attachments to email@example.com. Applicants may be required to complete relevant testing to determine eligibility for the role. KCRW aims to be representative of Southern California, and candidates with traditionally underrepresented backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
KCRW Foundation, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.