Institutional Giving Manager
KCRW is a nonprofit, multi-platform, public media producer and presenter that informs and enriches the lives of listeners in Southern California and around the world. A community service of Santa Monica College and a flagship NPR affiliate for more than 30 years, KCRW 89.9 FM features an eclectic mix of news, music, and cultural programming that engage audiences in ongoing dialogue and advance cultural conversation.
KCRW extends the station’s profile globally through digital content at KCRW.com . The station reaches over 2 million people each month through its terrestrial broadcast signal, digital media platforms, and live community events. KCRW’s terrestrial radio signal reaches over 500,000 listeners in Southern California throughout the Greater Los Angeles region and vast portions of Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Mojave,Ojai, and San Diego (a service area with a population reach of nearly 12 million people).
Under the leadership of President Jennifer Ferro and the 30-member Board of the KCRW Foundation, the station is in a period of transformation building its 50,000-donor base of annual giving and “growing” its current $20 million annual operation, while also transitioning for expansion in a new facility.
Institutional Giving Manager
The Institutional Giving Manager serves as a dynamic member of KCRW’s Development Team. The Institutional Giving Manager will be responsible for managing, supporting, and advancing KCRW’s institutional giving program which includes grants from a range of private, corporate, and family foundations. This person will be responsible for overseeing prospect research, pipeline management, proposal preparation and submission, and coordinating Development & Program Department staff and resources to ensure goals, deadlines, and financial objectives are accomplished. This role reports directly to the Director of Development with co- supervision of the Institutional Giving Associate.
The successful candidate will collaborate successfully with a fast-paced team and dynamic organization and have a keen interest and professional background in fundraising. The candidate will work closely with the development team to create and fulfill the donor experience, from acquisition of new institutional funders to stewardship.
This position has significant focus on instutional funder research, drafting proposals and reports, as well as data management in Salesforce. In addition to these skills, the successful candidate will have and high-level organizational skills to manage complex projects. This is an excellent growth opportunity for a fundraising professional to work within a team environment toward collective goals while fulfilling a primary role in the organization's institutional giving strategy.
- Oversee management and growth of the institutional (corporate, foundation & government) portfolio including solicitations, cultivation, upgrades, and stewardship activities for both annual and capital campaign contributions.
- Works with Development and Program staff to tie grant opportunities with the program needs of KCRW.
- Analyze grant award letters for terms and conditions and translates them in to deliverable deadlines.
- Analyze grant cycles and prepares the President and Development Director in their pitch presentations.
- Develop funding concepts by interacting with Program and Communications staff.
- Assist in the internal planning and deadline management around donor communications.
- Ensure a timely acknowledgment process and distribution of materials to funders
- Conduct application research to prepare targeted approaches and estimate time allocation; follows up on leads.
- In collaboration with the Institutional Giving team and Director of Development, help in the creation and implementation of strategies for the identification and solicitation of prospects and funders.
- Co-manage (with Director of Development) Institutional Giving Associate.
- Oversee research of prospects and flag major grant prospects.
- Design and coordinate funder recognition and roundtables including creating and sending invitations, managing RSVPs, and working events.
- Perform other duties and special projects as directed.
- College degree (Master’s preferred).
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team and with great energy and persistence. Experience working with diverse constituencies.
- Proven organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and produce high quality results quickly and on time.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Access to transportation to visit with donors and prospects. Available for occasional work events on weekends and evenings.
- Experience in fundraising database management – SalesForce preferred.
- Executive demeanor including outstanding planning, articulation and collaboration skills.
- A working knowledge in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign and the ability to design basic invitations, inserts, as well as additional digital deliverables.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially MS Word and Excel and the ability to manage detailed spreadsheets.
- You enjoy helping people. You get a kick out of seeing a light go on in someone's eyes as they feel emotionally connected to KCRW and the ideas and lifelong learning it ignites. .
- You are fearless about asking for support for KCRW. You are excited to share your passion for KCRW with long-time and brand-new fans and are energized by finding the ways in which a donor's involvement adds value to their life.
- You are a great listener. You are patient, level-headed, and cool under pressure. Learning something new makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
- You communicate clearly and persuasively. You write well. You speak eloquently. You can explain just about anything to anyone, and you're comfortable communicating face-to-face, in writing and on the phone.
- You are motivated and driven. You volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked. You are a person who always helps your colleagues. You take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference.
- You are detail-oriented and strategic. As far as you're concerned, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every single time.
- You like learning new things and think on your feet. When things change, you roll with the punches.
- You love being around people and enjoy one-of-a-kind music, news and culture events at night and on the weekends.
- Competitive salary and benefits package offered
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
KCRW is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or veteran status.