KCRW is seeking a smart, driven, and highly organized individual to produce compelling radio and digital content for KCRW’s Music Department, including its flagship music program Morning Becomes Eclectic. KCRW Music has a long history of featuring new music from emerging and established artists, being a leader in music discovery and delivering live performances, interviews and relevant music news. The Music Producer will be responsible for the organization and development of radio and digital content, in conjunction with the Music Director and show hosts, that includes everything from artist booking, show assembly and production, digital features and in-person. The ideal candidate will not only be voracious about emerging artists and shifting trends in music, but must also be living in both the present and future of listening behavior to bridge generations, communities and formats.
The Music Producer reports to the Music Director. This is a full-time position paid on a salary basis.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Versatile producer who develops and produces concepts across all relevant music channels, including broadcast, & digital (social, video, editorial features, on-demand)
- Drive engagement and audience growth through music discovery and fine-tuning the most compelling format and content-mix to drive engagement with the full KCRW Music ecosystem
- Be a fountain of ideas and an organizational powerhouse to keep things fresh and always evolving as part of KCRW’s mantra of cultural relevance
- Be able to shift gears to pledge-drives that drive membership and loyalty
- Be a compelling communicator who gets the best out of hosts, artists & management
- Maintain awareness of current KCRW music and the independent music scene
- Build relationships with talent managers, publicists, and record labels to bring a diverse range of opportunities to KCRW Music
- Attend planning meetings with the Music Director and contributing staff to review new ideas and music features in progress
- Maintain the production calendar. Be nimble with new ideas and production workflow.
- Book and coordinate all aspects of music sessions both aired/streamed live or pre-recorded and confirm that support roles are in place (load in, studio/engineer, editing, video, photographer)
- Prepare notes and interview questions for host on live guests ahead of their session and work with host to craft their interview by leveraging experience with interview techniques
- Determine when interviews are necessary and when they are not
- Book photographers for live performances
- Monitor each show and provide necessary real-time assistance to show host
- Prepare daily updates for host: ticket giveaways, new releases, promo priorities, upcoming guests, pre-interviews, events, etc.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven track record as a producer with demonstrated ability to research, prepare notes and interview questions, conduct pre-interviews, edit and assemble completed show/feature/segments
- Ability to tell a compelling story through content creation and production
- Proficient in Protools, Dalet or equivalent
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational & time management skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Positive attitude and an open mind
- Minimum of 3 years experience as lead Producer
- Minimum of 2 years experience in radio broadcasting industry
- Knowledge of and passion for music highly recommended
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree required, related field preferred
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package designed to protect you and your family including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life
- 403b with company match
- Opportunities for rest, relaxation and personal pursuits via our generous vacation accrual and holiday schedule
- Collaborative and supportive environment
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be required to complete relevant testing to determine eligibility for the role. KCRW aims to be representative of Southern California, and candidates with traditionally underrepresented backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
KCRW Foundation, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.