Dodgers Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully says he’ll return next year for a record 66th season calling the games.
A trio of Dodgers players made the announcement in three languages in a video played on the big screen during the second inning of last night’s game. Fans erupted in cheers and gave Scully a long standing ovation.
Scully, who’s 85, began doing Dodgers broadcasts in Brooklyn, in 1950. He says he struggled with the decision. Here’s part of his statement: “It is very difficult to say goodbye… God willing I will be back next year. Over the years I have been blessed to have so many friends including those that sit in the stands and listen as well as those at home, who listen and watch. It is just too hard to say goodbye to all these friends. Naturally there will come a time, when I will have to say goodbye, but I’ve soul-searched and this is not the time.”
Scully’s return is a relief to Dodgers fans who can’t watch games because of an ongoing price dispute between Time Warner Cable and other local TV providers. Lately, many of those fans had been grumbling about possibility missing out on Scully’s last season.
In today’s L.A.Times, columnist Bill Plaschke blames the Dodgers themselves for the mess: “When (Dodgers President Stan) Kasten was asked Monday whether the Dodgers would consider renegotiating this greed-laden deal with Time Warner Cable, he had no comment. He’ll have to address it eventually. At this point, the Dodgers seemingly have little choice. They are the ones who created this nightmare.”
The Dodgers, by the way, won last night’s game and lead the National League West by three games. That’s their biggest lead of the year.