Halloween, like a lot of holidays, brings about the same songs again and again. You’ll always hear things like “Monster Mash,” “Werewolves of London,” or “Thriller.”
A few years ago, I wrote a post about the talented Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, who was by no means a one-trick Halloween pony, but sadly, came to be known for only one of his songs, “I Put A Spell On You” from 1956. It sort of sealed his fate, if you will. This song later turned classic in 1965 when Nina Simone sang her own haunting, unrequited love song version of it, which you’re probably all familiar with.
This year, I have decided to cobble together a set of some lesser-known Halloween songs that I think don’t get enough play this time of year when the holidays come creeping in. So here are my recommendations. I hope you enjoy them!
Perhaps some of you have suggestions that you can add to this list? Let us know by leaving a comment below and have a festively Happy Halloween!
Rhythm Planet Playlist: 10/30/14
- Tom Waits / “Potter’s Field” / Foreign Affairs / Asylum
- The Jolly Ambulances / “La Bony” / Afro-Colombian Funeral Music / Buda Musique
- Lord Kitchener / “Love in the Cemetery” / Klassic Kitchener Vol. 2 / Umvd/Ryko
- Parliament / “Dr. Funkenstein” / Funked Up: The Very Best of Parliament / Island Mercury
- Cab Calloway / “The Ghost Of Smokey Joe” / Halloween Classics: Songs That Scared the Bloomers off Your Great-Grandma/ Legacy Recordings
- Talking Heads / “Psycho Killer” / Talking Heads 1977 / Warner Bros.
- Frank Sinatra / “Witchcraft” / The Best of the Best / Capitol Records
- GOL / “Angelica In Delirium” / Trance Planet Vol. 2 / Triloka
- Dead Can Dance / “I Am Stretched Out on Your Grave” / Toward the Within / 4AD
- Father John Misty / “Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings” / Fear Fun / Sub Pop
- Chavela Vargas / “La Llorona” / La Llorona / WM Spain
<!-- missing image http://blogs.kcrw.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RP-Halloween-CDs-1024x682.jpg -->