All of our DJs receive hundreds of CDs a month to consider for airplay. In this regular feature, KCRW DJ Chuck P catalogues his musical bounty from the Post Office each week.
1) Comet Gain “Howl Of The Lonely Crowd” – Gorgeous photo on this great new LP from these Brits. Been around making excellent music since the early ‘90s and still going strong. This is as good as any place to start. Thanks for sending the CD version too!
2) PAPA “A Good Woman Is Hard To Find” – … but a pretty woman apparently is not. Another lovely adorns this new 12″ from PAPA. Van Morrison comes to mind, but only peripherally so. Good mellow rock and roll (on the first track so far, anyway) and I’ll be leaving this one on the turntable for the rest of this post. Very cool.
3) Lana Del Rey “Video Games” – new CD single featuring the two songs released by Lana Del Rey, indie rocks’ biggest crush right now. Formally Lizzy Grant (released an album under that name with some decent songs), the self proclaimed “gangsta Nancy Sinatra” is lighting up the blogs with these two new songs and videos. Slow and majestic, you’ve probably been hearing them on Morning Becomes Eclectic over the last few weeks.
4) Nous Non Plus photo – As a ‘thank you’ for playing their latest CD “Freudian Slip“, I received this steamy autographed photo of band member Celine Dijon (awesome name) in the mail this week. Their songs are mostly sung in French and they’re a great live band. Their CD artwork is just as revealing as the photo here and adds a little extra incentive for more research.
5) Adanowsky “Amador” – Here’s one for the ladies! Adan Jodorowsky is the son of director Alejandro Jodorowsky (and featured in his – probably – least disturbing film, Santa Sangre). An accomplished actor, director and musician, Adanowsky’s bio says he was taught how to dance by James Brown (a friend of his older brother) learned to play guitar from George Harrison (another friend of the family), and he played in the punk band Hellboys before finally heading off into his own direction. As a big fan of his father’s films, I’m looking forward to checking this out.
Honorable Halloween mentions include new CD’s from Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs (AAAIIGGHH! DINOSAURS!), The Town Monster (AAAIIGGHH! MONSTERS!) and The Bees (AAAIIGGHH! BEES!), with digital release going to an incredible new compilation on Ubiquity records called These Are The Breaks featuring a collection of 12 original tracks from their catalog that have been sampled by well-known artists ranging in diversity from Beyonce, Beck and J Dilla.
SO EXCITED to be DJing the big KCRW Masquerade Ball this weekend at Park Plaza.
Hope to see you there, but if you got something else going, please be safe while partying and getting around. Even if you’re not drinking, the guy in the other car might be. Keep an extra eye out and have a great night!