I’m doing the annual KCRW Christmas show again this year, so for this Rhythm Planet I thought I’d give you a sneak preview, as well as a listen to a few new Christmas releases.
We begin with a Tito Puente latin classic, his version of “The Little Drummer Boy” (in Spanish: “El Tambolero”). Then we hear a cut from the new, second Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings cd, It’s a Holiday Soul Party. Kind of a strange title, please don’t misconstrue it (it’s called “Big Bulbs”). Next we feature the fabulous singer Cécile McLoren Salvant with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, doing “It’s Easy to Blame the Weather”. LA-based Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band is next, with a jazz version of “Carol of the Bells”.
After that an English Renaissance consort group, the Quadriga Consort, sings “The First Nowell (Noel).” We wrap it up with Ann Hampton Callaway, followed by a Christmas song dedicated to John Coltrane, based on the changes of his 1959 composition “Giant Steps”. These songs are just a taste. The full monty comes Christmas Day on KCRW, 89.9 FM, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. PST. Hope you can join me then.
Rhythm Planet Playlist for 12/18/15
- Tito Puente / “El Tambolero (The Little Drummer Boy)” / Latin Christmas / Sony/BMG
- Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / “Big Bulbs” / It’s A Holiday Soul Party / Daptone Records
- The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra / “It’s Easy To Blame The Weather (featuring Cecile McLorin Salvant)” / Big Band Holidays / Blue Engine Records
- Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band / “Carol Of The Bells” / A Big Phat Christmas Wrap This!/ Music of Content / Wingood Music Productions
- Quadriga Consort / “The First Nowell” / Winter’s Delights – Early Christmas Music and Carols from the British Isles / deutsche harmonia mundi
- Ann Hampton Callaway / “On Union Street” / The Hope Of Christmas / MCG Jazz
- Pittsburgh Jazz Orchestra / “Merry Christmas John Coltrane” / Joyful Jazz / MCG Jazz