This week I’ll mostly feature new releases, but I’ll also play a little Cuban son and remember two musicians, Toots Thielemans and Irving Fields.
We start with a wonderful guitarist based in Los Angeles, Wolfgang Schalk. He has a new album I keep returning too, and it’s on CD and vinyl. After that, a track from busy Bronx bass player Carlos Henriquez, whose main gig is with Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Orchestra. It’s got a nice Latin groove.
Mehmet Ali Sanlikol is an expert at Turkish music, and manages to put a little second-line gumbo into the mix in “The Turkish 2nd Line.” Brilliant!
This next album I had to listen to a few times before I realized just how good it was, mainly because I don’t usually like duet albums. But it really grew on me. Sara Gazarek and Josh Nelson do a great version of “Sunny Side of the Street,” with some nice unison parts and scatting too. Kudos!
Next we remember two dissimilar but wonderful musicians, Toots Thielemans and Irving Fields. I just wrote a small tribute.
To round out the show, we feature some classic Cuban son from pianist Peruchin, and close with a lovely song by saxophonist Chico Freeman written for his daughter. Hope you enjoy the music!
Rhythm Planet Playlist for 8/26/16:
- Wolfgang Schalk / “Zenzibility” / From Here to There / Frame Up Music
- Carlos Henriquez / “Cuchifrito” / The Bronx Pyramid / Blue Engine
- Mehmet Ali Sanlikol & Whatsnext? / “The Turkish 2nd Line” (New Orleans Çiftetellisi) [feat. Anat Cohen] / Resolution / Dunya
- Sara Gazarek and Josh Nelson / “Sunny Side of the Street” / Dream in the Blue / Steel Bird Music
- Toots Thielemans / “Ne Me Quitte Pas” / Ne Me Quitte Pas / Milan
- Irving Fields / “Mazeltov Merengue” / Bagels and Bongos / Reboot Stereophonic
- Peruchin / “El Aguardiente” / The Heart of Cuba / GNP Crescendo
- Chico Freeman 4-Tet / “Erika’s Reverie” / Spoken Into Existence / Jive Music Austria