Nine candidates made it to prime time last night in Las Vegas, chosen again by their standing in public opinion polls. Donald Trump made the biggest news, saying he loves the GOP after all and promising not to stage a third-party rebellion. The theme was national security and all nine played variations on the anger of the conservative base and the fear caused by attacks on Paris and San Bernardino. Fact checkers are working overtime and debate continues over whether the polls reflect public opinion — or shape it.
Truth, Promises and Public Opinion
- Mark Leibovich - staff writer at The Atlantic - @MarkLeibovich
- Eli Lake - Bloomberg View - @EliLake
- Lauren Carroll - PolitiFact - @LaurenFCarroll
- Jill Lepore - professor of history at Harvard University, staff writer at the New Yorker, and host of the podcasts “The Last Archive” and “Elon Musk: The Evening Rocket.”
- Harry Enten - FiveThirtyEight - @ForecasterEnten