America's deal-maker-in-chief has proposed a budget so draconian it's already called "dead on arrival" in Congress. Massive cuts in domestic programs would fund the biggest jump in military spending since Ronald Reagan faced down the Soviet Union. But many Republicans are disturbed that the biggest losers would be in rural areas where Trump himself won the most votes. Democrats are predictably outraged over threats to environmental protection and help for the working poor. The give-and-take is just beginning.
President Trump's opening offer
- Shane Goldmacher - national political reporter, New York Times - @ShaneGoldmacher
- David Goldston - National Resources Defense Council - @NRDC
- Rebecca Vallas - Center for American Progress - @rebeccavallas
- Dee Davis - Center for Rural Strategies - @dailyyonder
- Diana Furchtgott-Roth - Manhattan Institute - @FurchtgottRoth