Last Friday in Beverly Hills, California, TV producer Charles Belk—a 51-year old black man—was on his way to a pre-Emmy awards party. When he left a restaurant, he was stopped by police, handcuffed and taken to jail with bail sent at $100,000. After 6 hours, police reviewed videotape that proved Belk had not robbed a bank and released him 10 minutes later. Belk says it was all because he was “tall, bald, male and black.” Will policing ever be colorblind?
Police and Race in America
- Delores Jones-Brown - John Jay College Center on Race, Crime and Justice - @JohnJayResearch
- Carroll Doherty - Pew Research Center for the People and the Press - @CarrollDoherty
- Dan Marcou - PoliceOne.com - @PoliceOne
- Joshua Correll - University of Colorado at Boulder
- Janai Nelson - NAACP Legal Defense Fund - @JNelsonLDF