Democrats wanted a spending freeze, while Republicans demanded $61 billion in cuts. The final agreement was $39 billion, and the Republicans dropped efforts to undercut healthcare reform and family planning. Those are the broad outlines of last Friday's agreement, with the details yet to come, and even, perhaps, still subject to change.
Winners and Losers in the Budget Shutdown Showdown
- Jennifer Rubin - Washington Post - @JRubinBlogger
- David Corn - Mother Jones magazine - @DavidCornDC
- Walter Hudson - North Star Tea Party Patriots
- Sarah Posner - journalist and author of “Unholy: How White Christian Nationalists Powered the Trump Presidency, and the Devastating Legacy They Left Behind” - @sarahposner
- Janice Shaw Crouse - Concerned Women for America - @CWforA
- Jamie Dupree - Cox Media - @jamiedupree