To succeed Bill Bratton, Mayor Antonio Villagraigosa has picked Charlie Beck as the next Chief of the LAPD. He's 56 and currently Deputy Chief in charge of Detectives. Beck's father served the LAPD for 30 years and retired as a deputy chief, an experience he says has enabled him to see both the "ghosts and the glory." Villaraigosa praised the 32-year veteran of the LAPD for his "reputation as a progressive police reformer…a leader with a deep respect and understanding of the police officers under his command and the communities they are sworn to protect and serve."
LA Gets a New Police Chief
- Joel Rubin - Los Angeles Times - @joelrubin
- Connie Rice - Los Angeles civil rights attorney, former member of President Obama’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing - @ConnieRicePCN
- Cynthia Buiza - Director of Policy, Coalition for Humane Immigrants Rights of Los Angeles
- Rick Orlov - Los Angeles Daily News - @Rickorlov
- Larry Aubry - Columnist for the Los Angeles Sentinel
- Robert Greene - Los Angeles Times