Planned giving is an opportunity to leave money or assets to a nonprofit upon one's passing, or a way to invest money so that the donor receives benefits during his/her lifetime and then bequeaths the remaining funds to the nonprofit. There are several planned giving vehicles that are easy to establish.
Making a planned gift to KCRW, a 501 (c) 3 organization, is a simple way to ensure a thriving future for public radio and all that it represents. You can name KCRW as a beneficiary of your will, trust, retirement plan, life insurance policy, or financial account, or fund a charitable gift annuity or trust that may provide you with tax benefits and income.
A community driven by the spirit of Los Angeles, KCRW aspires to connect the interesting to the interested, growing a hyper-engaged LA-based collective through one-of-a-kind experiences. Always excellent, essential, and accessible, we’re the exclusive club that everyone is invited to.
We are the curator of the LA experience — your guide to understanding the diverse communities and cultures of the region, spotlighting unique perspectives through original programming and hand-picked content. Always free, never behind a paywall.
Not only will you be leaving behind a legacy for KCRW and its future, there are great benefits to this type of giving. Those benefits include:
- Tax deductions
- Avoiding capital gains
- Maximizing charitable contributions
- Getting income for yourself and/or your loved ones
- Passing assets to family at a reduced tax cost
- Excellent way of managing your assets, now and after your lifetime.
- (Are there living benefits ie. station perks?)
The Sonic Society honors members who have included KCRW in their long-term plans. They are people who want to ensure KCRW thrives for years ahead. They are avid believers in the station’s mission and wish to leave future Southern California (and beyond) generations with many more years of great music, news and cultural programming.
Planned Giving looks different for everyone. That’s why we have multiple options in our program enabling you to choose which plan works in your best interest.
- You can name KCRW in your long-range plans including: Your will or trust with wording such as: “I hereby give to KCRW, a-not-for-profit organization with offices at 1900 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405, the sum of $_________; or ______% of the residue of my estate.”
- IRA or retirement plan beneficiary
- Life insurance beneficiary
- Financial account
- Charitable IRA Distribution: Congress passed a tax bill that permanently extends the Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) provision, allowing you to transfer up to $100,000 when you turn 70½ from your IRA to a charity and have it count as your required minimum distribution without increasing your adjusted gross income.
Please also consult your financial advisor if you feel there is a better option that would suit your needs as you incorporate KCRW into your legacy.
Thank you for your interest in KCRW’s Sonic Society! We are honored you are considering KCRW to carry forward your legacy through our mission. This is an important choice, so we want to make sure we leave you with a little extra information about planned giving.
Member Level Benefits
with a planned gift of $1 - $99,999 (100% Tax Deductible)
- Invitations to one Special KCRW event per year
- Behind the scenes tour of KCRW HQ
with an irrevocable planned gift of $100,000 - $249,999 (100% Tax Deductible)
FELLOWS CIRCLE BENEFITS INCLUDE
- Invitations to two (2) of KCRW’s exclusive Champion Salon Series -- featuring KCRW talent in conversation with their favorite leading luminaries per year
- Recognition of your commitment in KCRW’s Annual Report
- Invitations to private music events at KCRW HQ
- VIP access and special ticket offers to KCRW Events
- Dedicated Staff Person
with an irrevocable planned gift of $250,000 - $499,999 (100% Tax Deductible)
INNOVATORS CIRCLE BENEFITS INCLUDE All of the above plus
- Priority RSVP access to all KCRW Evening Music Sessions (at Apogee Studios or KCRW HQ)
- Invitation to annual President’s Dinner with KCRW President Jennifer Ferro
- Priority Access to music events at KCRW’s Annenberg Performance Studio
with a planned gift of $500,000 - $999,999 (100% Tax Deductible)
LEADERSHIP CIRCLE BENEFITS INCLUDE All of the above plus:
- Guaranteed front row at KCRW’s Evening Music Sessions (at Apogee Studios or KCRW HQ)
- Two (2) Tickets to one show per season at KCRW’s World Festival at the Hollywood Bowl
- Lunch for two (2) with KCRW President Jennifer Ferro
- Opportunity to sit in on recording session at KCRW HQ
- Invitation to record a personal testimonial in support of KCRW for possible on-air use
with a planned gift of $1,000,000 and above (100% Tax Deductible)
PRESIDENT’S CIRCLE BENEFITS INCLUDE All of the above plus:
- Two (2) seats in Terrace Box with Dinner and KCRW Talent at KCRW’s World Festival at the Hollywood Bowl
- Opportunity for a private lunch with KCRW talent
- Opportunity for monthly on-air recognition
- Two (2) Tickets to five KCRW partner concerts per year
Individual Giving Associate
Sonic Society Member Testimonials
“We've been hooked on NPR in general and KCRW in particular since the early 1980s. Although it sounds both high-falutin' and a bit combative, we love public radio because it helps protect the independence of media from the corrupting influence of special interests. Perhaps more down-to-earth would be, "We want to keep radio free, fair, and independent." Or even more simply: "We hate advertising."
–Monte and Claire Montgomery
“Many years ago I added KCRW to my Will, then Trust. For me, it was just the right and natural thing to do. If KCRW is worth donating to during my lifetime then it makes perfect sense that I would want to contribute beyond that time. That which I find invaluable on a daily basis I would hope to be enjoyed and cherished by others who come after. My every day is made better by having KCRW to listen to. I listen when I am at my Santa Monica home, during my drive out to my desert home and everyday when I am there. KCRW is my lifeline to news and cultural events. The other day while driving from Joshua Tree to my home in Twentynine Palms, feeling very mellow and enjoying the desert landscape, listening to KCRW of course, I hear the voice on the radio say something to the tune of, “ Well it's that time of day when we like to thank one of our contributors. So Thank You, Joan Robey.” And then he proceeds to call out my name again. I laughed that half funny/half nervous laugh finding the moment both eerily cosmic yet somehow totally expected. But bottom line, it really is ME thanking YOU, for making my days here better.