Featuring contributions from Mos Def, Bat for Lashes, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Amadou & Mariam and Angelique Kidjo among others, charity compilation “Raise Hope for Congo” aims to raise awareness of the plight of abused Congolese women and children. The project was curated by KCRW’s own Nic Harcourt and is a being released by Mercer Street Records.
“I was honored to be asked to help curate this collection. I asked a few friends like Norah Jones, Fran Healey and Damien Rice to participate and I’m grateful to all the artists who donated tracks so that we can raise awareness of the plight of women and girls in Congo.”
The 18-track album is out now digitally and will be available in stores on June 22.
All proceeds will go towards efforts to alleviate the suffering caused by the demand for conflict minerals in the African nation. Raise Hope for Congo is an initiative of the Enough Project, which is dedicated to genocide and human-rights violations.
The compilation track listing is:
1. Lonely Soldier – Damien Rice
2. Not Immune – Imaad Wasif
3. Angel Mom – Jesca Hoop
4. 40 – Meshell Ndegeocello
5. Je t’aime – Staff Benda Bilili
6. Leila – Angelique Kidjo
7. Na Miso – Chantal Kreviazuk
8. World of Trouble – Norah Jones
9. My Name is Mwamaroyi – Sheryl Crow
10. Don’t Let Me – Amel Larrieux
11. Raise Hope – Omékongo Dibinga & Shahin Shahida
12. Never Again – Ozomatli & The Agahoza Shalom Youth Village
13. Sleep Alone – Bat For Lashes
14. Before You Were Young (Live at Joe’s Pub) – Travis
15. Hora Zero (Live at Wecheter) – Rodrigo y Gabriela
16. Tambara – Amadou & Mariam
17. Nsimba & Nzuzi – Konono No 1
18. Priority (A Cappella) – Mos Def