<!-- missing image http://blogs.kcrw.com/rhythmplanet/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/blog-spacer.jpg -->This week we feature ten new records that caught my ear. Let’s check them out, starting with a bolero from Cuban-born, Toronto-based pianist Roberto Fonseca, with the beautiful voice of Mercedes Cortes. Venezuelan pianist Edward Simon then covers Ariel Ramirez’ beautiful song “Alphonsina y El Mar,” made famous by the late Mercedes Sosa.
We follow with a posthumous release by Charlie Haden‘s big band, The Liberation Music Orchestra, playing a moving version of the Miles Davis classic “Blue in Green.” Then we hear from an interesting new collection called The Calais Sessions. The compilation features musicians of the Calais “Jungle” camp — refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, and other besieged countries trying to get out of the camp in Calais and into the U.K..
We continue with music from Mali, Mauretania, and Benin, with kora master Dawda Jobarteh, singer Noura Mint Seymali, and the fabulous Poly-Rythmo Cotonou, Benin.
Moving into our last trio of songs…Norah Jones‘ new CD is much jazzier and edgier than earlier works. KCRW did a live session with her recently that featured this song, “Flipside.”
The dreamy, quiet sound of Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson follows, with a track from a new composition based on the Orpheus story. Listen to it in a quiet space or it might just go right by you.
We finish with a cover of Coltrane’s “Countdown,” the title cut from a new album from Balinese wunderkind Joey Alexander.
There we have it. Ten pieces of new music that I hope you’ll enjoy!!!
Rhythm Planet Playlist for 10/21/16:
- Roberto Fonseca / “Después” / Abuc / Impulse!
- Edward Simon / “Alphonsina y El Mar” / Latin American Songbook / Sunnyside Communication
- Charlie Haden & The Liberation Music Orchestra / “Blue in Green” / Time/Life / Impulse!
- Kasper King / “University Story” / The Calais Sessions / Sessions of the World
- Dawda Jobarteh / “Efo” / Transitional Times / Sterns Africa
- Noura Mint Seymali / “Richa” / Arbina / Glitterbeat Records
- Le Tout-Puissant Orchestre Poly-Rythmo / “Africa Lonlon” / Madjafalao / Because Music
- Norah Jones / “Flipside” / Day Breaks / Blue Note
- Jóhann Jóhannsson, performed by Air Lyndhurst String Orchestra and Anthony Weeden / “A Sparrow Alighted on Our Shoulder” / Orphée / Deutsche Grammophon
- Joey Alexander / “Countdown” / Countdown / Motema Music