Writing to you from Port Au Prince. Haiti. I have been here for about a week now and tomorrow will be flying back to Los Angeles, getting a few hours of sleep and then coming into the studio at our new time of 8 pm to do the show with you live.
As you know, last week we listened to some vintage Haitian music. Tonight, we will address some things that I have been thinking about since I got here, that’s why we are starting and ending our show with Curtis Mayfield. You will see some writing about Haiti and Mr. Mayfield in my next LA Weekly piece. I think you will be able to read that one online this coming Monday.
I hope that by the end of the show, you will feel the same way about all the tracks we played. I love this set of tunes we have going here. I have been building this show slowly in my hotel room at night when things quiet down.
I have been going out every day into the city and outlying areas to see what I can, learn and hopefully be of some use. I went out yesterday, armed with soap and soccer balls. It’s still very rough here. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done. I see a lot of NGO’s here, so maybe things are on the move. I have spoken to a lot of people who say things are better but there’s still a long way to go. If we get time during the show, I will talk about it a little.
If you notice our tracks below, there’s nothing but greatness coming your way. I think you are going to dig this one. Have not visited early Birthday Party for a long time, so we addressed that as you can see. What a song! Also, it’s been awhile since I checked out that Ornette comp. I always find myself staying inside that massive box set on Atlantic.
Book Info Dept.: Pre-order information for Occupants, my new book, is available here: http://static.musictoday.com/store/bands/1821/images/occupants.html
News That You Will Want To Make Note Of Dept.: Starting September 10, our show moves to the 8 – 10 pm time slot on Saturday. Same night, two hours later. Liza will be taking the 6 – 8 pm shift. These are orders from the top. Engineer X seems ready to go with it but I have not yet spoken to The Double B about it. Hopefully, you will be able to stick with us in this new time assignment.
I am looking forward to being with you live in the studio starting at our new time so tune in and STAY FANATIC!!!
E-mail address for me: Henryontheradio@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter: @henryrollins
01. Curtis Mayfield - Wild And Free / Curtis
02. Boris – Title in Japanese / Heavy Rocks
03. Philip Cohran & The Artistic Heritage Ensemble - Malcolm X / Malcolm X Memorial
04. Black Eyes - Another Country / Cough
05. U.K. Subs - Brand New Age / Brand New Age
06. Young Prisms – Sugar / Friends For Now
07. Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart - 200 Years Old / Bongo Fury
08. Wolfgang Riechman – Abendlicht / Wunderbar
09. Scorpions - Robot Man / In Trance
10. Kinski - Dayroom At Narita Int'l / Down Below It's Chaos
11. Japandroids - Coma Complacency / No Singles
12. Fats Waller & His Rhythm - Headlines In The News / Last Years (’40-‘43)
13. Behemoth - Before The Acons Came / Demigod
14. William Bell - Any Other Way / Soul Of A Bell
15. Artificial Peace - Outside Looking In / Complete Session November 81
16. Ann Brewer & The Flames - Rockin' In A Wooden Shack Automatic Bop – Vol. 1
17. Birthday Party - The Friend Catcher / The Birthday Party
18. Wire – Clay / Red Barked Tree
19. David Bowie - Blackout / Heroes
20. Ornette Coleman - The Jungle Is A Skyscraper / Complete Science Fiction Sessions
21. Maybe It's Reno - Days Like Cups / Maybe It's Reno
22. The Fontaine Toups - TFT / TFT
23. The Fall - Birthday Song (New Mix) ("F-'Oldin' Money" B-Side) / The Marshall Suite
24. Hallelujah Chicken Run Band - Mudzimu Ndiringe / Chicken Run
25. The Beatles - Glass Onion / Whitology
26. Chrome - You've Been Duplicated / Half-Machine Lip Moves
27. Deerhoof - Queen Orca Wicca Wind / Halfbird
28. Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up / Curtis