Fanatics! It occurred to me tonight, as I unleashed this fantastic collection of tunes upon myself one last time, that you might be kind of amazed at The Big Three. Yes, amazed. You listen to the show every week, (we hope you do) and have come to the conclusion that it’s probably one of the best damn things that ever happened—two hours at a time. I must say, for three men who often wake up on a stranger’s couch, one shoe missing, somewhere in Long Beach, car misplaced and wallet gone, we do put across an amazing show. No, really, thank YOU.
But seriously, Fanatic, I think we have created a listening environment that will leave you better off than before the show started.
I know you know Castle Face Records. What I need you to know about them is that like the gopher—they never quit. The label has been slingin’ slabs of vinyl like there’s no tomorrow and Fanatic, one never knows, do one? New on Castle Face are releases from Pow! and The Traps. We rock a track from both of those tonight. I have it on good authority that there is some exciting releases coming out soon on Castle Face and Fanatic, you will have a front row seat.
One of my longest time pals, Inger Lorre, has a single coming out around April, I think. She was kind enough to send me over the final mixes and gave me the clearance to rock a track in advance. So tonight, Fanatic, we will listen to a song from this 7” deal, called Hate In My Heart. I don’t know if this will be the A or B side but it hardly matters. I think both songs are great and we will get at the other track when and if I get the green light from Inger. This is a worldwide first. This single is not even at the plant yet, so dig it!
We have a track by Wounded Lion on the show tonight. This from their album on In The Red, a label that we like very much. Larry In The Red was over at the office a couple of weeks ago and we took quite a long time going through records and flyers. He is a serious record Fanatic.
I thought we would start our second hour by pretending it’s a Saturday night, at least what I think Saturday night should sound like. If you look at the first six songs, you will see what I mean.
Listen to the sound on the Fugazi track. Red Medicine is one fierce record. I remember seeing them on this tour. I think it was 1995, at Irving Plaza in NYC. I think they opened with Do You Like Me. One of the best times I ever saw them play. I never saw a show of theirs I didn’t like. They were all very different too. I remember one LA show in 1990-something where the show was almost half instrumental, really cool.
Notice a pattern here, where we are slowly chipping away at the Ty Segall Gemini and Steven R Smith/Ulaan Khol Ending/Returning albums? Nothing gets by you, Fanatic. The prices on the Ty album have come down and you see it now and then on eBay. If you are a fan of the man and don’t have this album, you should get it before it’s gone. So far, in this Fanatic’s opinion, Ty has not made a record that wasn’t pretty damn great. For all things Steve R Smith, check out his really cool website for music info: http://www.worstward.com/
I Went For It At A Dead Run Dept.: There is a multi CD release by one of my favorites, My Cat Is An Alien. It’s called Psycho System. Six CDs. I listened to all of it at once. Almost four hours. Kind of different for Opalio brothers. I really like it. You can go to their site and check out what they have there. http://ellipticalnoise.bandcamp.com/
Oh, before I forget, I just talked to a well placed source who informs me to get ready for some solo J Mascis this year. Stoked, or what?! Believe me, Fanatic, we will be utilizing every source we have to get that to you asap or asaper.
Tonight will be one great night of music. Get in touch with your inner Fanatic and STAY FANATIC!!!
01. Philip Cohran & The Artistic Heritage Ensemble - Flankphone Blues / Singles
02. Captain Beefheart - The Past Sure Is Tense / Ice Cream For Crow
03. Pow! - Sugi Walks / Hi-Tech Boom
04. Eating People - Track 06 / AM976 Snail Air Chaser
05. Ben E. King - Walking In The Footsteps Of A Fool / Spanish Harlem
06. Inger Lorre – Hate In My Heart / single
07. Rodriguez - This Is Not A Song, It’s An Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues / Cold Fact
08. The Horrors - Sheena Is A Parasite / Strange House
09. The Traps - All Night / Boom Pow Awesome Wow
10. Wounded Lion - Silver People / Wounded Lion
11. The Saints - This Perfect Day / Eternally Yours
12. Cheap Trick - Auf Wiedersehen / Heaven Tonight
13. David Bowie – Bombers / Hunky Dory
14. Leadbelly - Old Man, Will Your Dog Catch A Rabbit / Last Sessions
15. Cluster - Für die Katz / Cluster II
16. The Last - Take Care Of Her / Danger
01. Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer / Young Loud & Snotty
02. Johnny Thunder & the Heartbreakers - Chinese Rock / LAMF
03. The Viletones – Rebel / single
04. The Stooges - Tight Pants / Anthology Box - The Stooges & Beyond
05. Johnny O’Keefe - The Wild One / The Rock N’ Roll Years
06. The Sonics – Strychnine / Nuggets
07. Fugazi - Birthday Pony / Red Medicine
08. Ulaan Khol - Last Town on Earth / Ending/Returning
09. Serge Gainsbourg - La Chanson De Slogan / Jane Birkin - Serge Gainsbourg
10. Blonde Redhead – Slogan / Melodie Citronique
11. Bunny Brains - Drugs No Way / Narnack Records Is…
12. Simpletones - I Like Drugs / I Have A Date
13. The Meat Puppets - Tumblin’ Tumbleweeds / Meat Puppets
14. Frank Zappa - A Little Green Rosetta / Läther
15. Ty Segall – Gold On The Shore / Gemini
16. Jack White - Fly Farm Blues / Third Man Records: Singles Comp. Vol. 1