For more than 10 days, heavily armed officers in body armor and SWAT vehicles have clashed with protesters in Ferguson, Missouri. The use of military equipment against peaceful protesters backfired on local police, producing an escalation of violence. Members of Congress, including presidential prospect Rand Paul, are pointing fingers at the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security. Washington gives heavy weapons, riot gear and armored personnel carriers to police forces who aren’t trained to use them, even if they needed to. We’ll hear how long-term policies have led to unintended consequences.
Escalation of Violence in Ferguson Missouri
- Norm Stamper - Law Enforcement against Prohibition - @CopsSayLegalize
- Ben Kesling - reporter at the Wall Street Journal - @bkesling
- Eugene O'Donnell - John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Jennifer Bendery - Huffington Post - @jbendery
- Gordon Adams - American University / Foreign Policy magazine - @Gadams1941