Today, we’re baking with bacon. This candy-nut pie asks for 3 slices worth of minced bacon in the crust.
We learned about Toffee Pecan Pie with Bacon-Infused Crust from KCRW News Producer (and pie aficionado) Avishay Artsy, whose girlfriend, Amanda Sutton, made it for him.
Read below for Sutton’s recipe, and click here to enter YOUR delicious pie (or pies) in the 4th Annual Good Food Pie Contest on Saturday, September 8th at LACMA.
Toffee Pecan Pie with Bacon-Infused Crust
(From Amanda Sutton)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 sticks plus 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
3 slices bacon
1. Fry the bacon in a skillet until nearly burnt. You want it to be
crispy all the way through. Once it’s cooled, mince the three slices
and set aside.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until combined. Add
cold butter, and chop with pastry cutter until mixture resembles
coarse meal. Drizzle ice water evenly over mixture. Mix until dough
holds together when pressed between 2 fingers (may use more water if
3. Sprinkle the bacon pieces into the dough, folding it as you add.
4. Shape dough into a disc, and wrap in parchment. Refrigerate until
firm, about 1 hour.
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup toffee bits
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to a
12-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie
plate. Trim to a 1/2-inch overhang all around. Fold under and crimp
2. Make the filling: Preheat oven with a rack set in the lower
third to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, corn syrup,
brown sugar, butter, salt, vanilla, almond extract, toffee bits, and
3. Pour filling into pie crust.
4. Transfer pie to oven; bake for 20 minutes. Cover with
parchment paper-lined aluminum foil and continue baking until a knife
inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.