Every week on the Good Food Blog we celebrate Meatless Monday by sharing a vegetarian recipe from our archives.
Shredded Zucchini Frittata with Parmesan
Serves 2 to 4 as a main course
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh herb leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Trim the ends from the zucchini. Shred the zucchini using the large holes on a box grater or the shredding disk of a food processor. Wrap the shredded zucchini in several layers of paper towels or in a kitchen towel and squeeze gently. Continue squeezing, using new towels if necessary, until the zucchini is fairly dry.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the zucchini and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the herb and salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and cheese in a large bowl. Move an oven rack to the top position and heat the broiler.
- When the zucchini is tender, add the egg mixture to the pan and stir gently with a fork to incorporate the zucchini evenly into the eggs. Cook over medium-low heat, occasionally sliding a spatula around the edges of the pan to loosen the frittata, until the bottom of the frittata is golden brown and the eggs are runny just on top, about 8 minutes.
- Place the pan directly under the broiler and broil just until the top is golden brown and set, 1 to 2 minutes. Do not let the frittata burn. Slide the frittata onto a large platter and cut it into wedges to serve or cool it in the pan and serve at room temperature.