Every week on the Good Food Blog we celebrate Meatless Monday by sharing a vegetarian recipe from our archives.
Jack Bishop is author of is the author of “A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen” published by Houghton Mifflin. He first shared this recipe for Tender Lettuce and Peach Salad with Pumpkin Seeds and Sour Orange Vinaigrette on July 24, 2004.
Tender Lettuce and Peach Salad with Pumpkin Seeds and Sour Orange Vinaigrette
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 1/4 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbspn fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups packed tender lettuces torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium peaches, halved, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a small skillet set over medium heat. Toast, shaking the pan occasionally to turn the seeds, until they are fragrant and begin to pop, about 3 minutes. Transfer the seeds to a plate.
- Add the orange juice to the empty skillet and cook over medium heat until it becomes syrupy and reduces to about 2 tablespoons, about 15 minutes. Transfer the reduced orange juice to a small bowl and cool. Whisk in the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste and then the oil.
- Place the lettuce, peaches, and toasted pumpkin seeds in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss to coat evenly, and serve.