1. Little Jesus – Norte (Japanese Edition): Straight ahead indie-rock in Spanish, par excellence. Sublime.
RIYL: Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend
2. Mexican Dubwiser – Electric City: These cross genre collaborations and grooves remind us that true talent sometimes shines best when it is taken out of its comfort zones. True blue print for what musica indie can achieve.
RIYL: Thievery Corporation, Chancha via Circuito
4. Pumcayó – Pumcayó: Self-released, folk, masterpiece in Spanish.
RIYL: Monsters of Folk, The Dodos
6. Siddharta – El vuelo del Pez: Former drummer for Zoé has now released 3 incredible albums since his departure from the group. It’s melancholy bliss.
RIYL: Zoé, Torreblanca
7. Helado Negro – Double Youth: New York is no stranger to experimental music and HN is no stranger to pushing the envelopes in a bilingual spectrum.
RIYL: El Guincho, Caribou
9. Sol Pereyra – Tirame Agua: Playful reggae jams spiked with a western feel.
RIYL: Los Cafres, Clairy Browne & the Bangin’ Rackettes
10. Enjambre – Proaño: You’d think they invented the fusion between Romanticas and Indie rock as prolific as they are at releasing albums. This year’s release joins one of the most solid catalogues from new bands.
RIYL: José José, Rodriguez