Tonight and for the next few weeks, we are live! I will be back from a month in Canada and we will hit it with the full force of the Big Three—myself, Engineer X and the Young Will Bentley.
The set list before you is a thing of beauty. It came together like it was meant to be. I have been listening to the tracks pre-show all week and I think we have ourselves a great two hours of listening.
Hour one is pure perfection. It’s been awhile since we have listened to Ty Segall and Zach Hill, so I figured we better get that dealt with.
Our B-52’s track tonight is from their first independently released single. I made a copy onto CD many years ago. I like it better than the album version.
A good scolding by Reverend Nix we have not endured for awhile, perfectly answered by Sonny Boy Williamson. Tempting to play the Dolls version of this but we have done that many times.
Since the Miles Davis postage stamp will be unveiled later this week in Los Angeles, we will listen to a track from the On The Corner box set. The track, Holly-wuud, was actually released as a 7” single years ago. For a long time, all I had was a CD rip of the track but it appeared on the box set and so we have it for the show. That’s a serious slice of Miles, the On The Corner album.
The Beyond The Implode track is easily found on CD at this point but the actual single is rarely seen and goes for insane prices at this point. One recently went on EBay for over four hundred bucks.
It’s summer and VUM is perfect warm weather listening, so we start our second hour with them. Check out their album Night Sun. Info: http://vummusic.bandcamp.com/album/night-sun
In our second hour, that VUM kicks off, we are going to stretch a little. Tonight, we will take our first listen to one of the Jooklo projects. There are several variations of this band. This is the first record of theirs I heard and became a fan immediately. Info: http://jooklo.altervista.org/
Also, we will dip into the amazing Utech catalog. What a label! Count me in as a fan. I try to keep up with their output as best I can. I have a lot listening to do this summer with all the Utech artists. Perfect hour 2 listening! Info: http://www.utechrecords.com/
We rock out with True Widow and then turn the lights back up again with the Velvets and turn the Jasonic Temple over to Jason Kramer, who takes KCRW up to the midnight hour.
Check the track listing, realize that you gotta check it out, get ready to go live and STAY FANATIC!!! ––Henry
E–mail address for me: Henryontheradio@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter: @henryrollins
01. Viletones – Rebel / A Taste Of Honey
02. The Ruts - In A Rut / The Punk Singles Collection
03. The Equals - Police On My Back / single
04. Ty Segall – Melted / Melted
05. Saccharine Trust - We Don't Need Freedom / Paganicons
06. Devo - Wiggly World / Duty Now For The Future
07. B-52s - 52 Girls / single
08. Beatles - Hey Bulldog / Yellow Submarine
19. Os Magrelos - Seja Como For / Electric Cowbell Fall 2011 Releases
10. Zach Hill - Dizzy From The Twins / Face Tat
11. Slim Gaillard - Jumpin' At The Record Shop / Cement Mixer Putti Putti
12. Rev. A. W. Nix - This Little Thing May Kill You Yet / Complete Volume 2
13. Sonny Boy Williamson - Don't Start Me To Talkin' / Down And Out Blues
14. Miles Davis - Holly-wuud / Complete On The Corner Sessions
15. Beyond The Implode - This Atmosphere / Messthetics #06
16. The Jesus & Mary Chain – The Living End / The Complete John Peel Sessions
17. Serge Gainsbourg - Ford Mustang / Initials B.B.
18. VUM - The Jungle / Night Sun
19. Birthday Party - Say a Spell / Mutiny EP
20. The Stooges - Real Cool Time / The Stooges
21. The Fall - Haf Found Borman / Beggar B-Sides
22. Ike Yard - We Are One / 1980-82 Collected
23. Neokarma Jooklo Octet – Untitled / Infinity
24. Suicide – Radiation / 2nd Suicide Album
25. Kas Product - Mind / Try Out
26. Sun Ra - Crystal Spears / Crystal Spears
27. Tabata Mitsuru - Dust To Dust / Lumrapideco
28. True Widow - Night Witches / As High As The Highest Heavens And From The Center To The Circumference Of The Earth
29. The Velvets - Tonight Could Be The Night / The Doo Wop Box Vol. 4