Fanatics, Space IS the place! It is tonight at least. A bit of a concept going on here. All of our tracks tonight deal in some way with space, either by content or title. I have wanted to do this show for awhile. I started working on this one weeks ago. I nailed down the final draft earlier in the week and it was done. One of the interesting tracks tonight is from Suicide. An alternate version of Frankie Teardrop! I have had this one tape for many years now but never wanted to play it because Suicide had not released it officially and I didn’t want talk out of class as they say. Finally, this track came out on a 10” on Blast First and for a very limited time, on a promo CD. That’s what we’re listening to tonight. So cool to finally be able to play this one. There’s more unreleased tracks from the first album but I will wait until the band releases them first before I play it. I know we are playing The Cramps two times in two consecutive broadcasts but I didn’t think you would mind. I don’t know if we have ever played anything from Coltrane’s Interstellar Space album. It’s a great one. I would like to know what Coltrane had on his mind when he went into these sessions. It’s one of his more interesting albums. Coltrane is one of those artists—you need to hear it all at least once. The men from Buck Gooter said they sent their new album but I have not had the chance to go through the mail yet. When I get their new on logged and listened to, I will bring in a track. I always look forward to new Goot and am very glad they are so prolific.
So, summer is upon us. I usually shift to different listening material. This summer however, I am not checking out all my normal suspects as much as I have in summers past. This summer, I am doing an almost nightly Sun Ra-a-thon. Last night, I checked out Hidden Fire vols. 1 &2 . I am still digging on that Horrors album, Primary Colours but I am finding myself heading towards the Space jams, hence tonight’s show as well as longer pieces in general. I have been checking a lot of Amon Duul, Kawabata Makoto, Acid Mothers Temple, Ash Ra Tempel. As well, I have been checking out a lot of Weasel Walter’s different projects and all kinds of interesting stuff I have been downloading from the Mutant Sounds site.
I think I have next week’s show wrapped up but I have been thinking of scrapping it and starting all over again. It’s good but it’s not exciting me as much as it should. I can’t walk into the KCRW Rok Mosk and Face Engineer X unless I have the real goods. I think I will go back to the drawing board and get it a little more fanaticized.
But tonight, Fanatics, we have a great show for you and I do hope you enjoy it. Until next week, I wish you a safe and happy re-entry into Earth’s atmosphere. Oh, and if you see your mother, tell her, STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
E-Mail address for Henry: Henryontheradio@AOL.com
01. Sun Ra - Space Is The Place / Soundtrack to the Film Space Is The Place
02. Hawkwind - Born to Go / BBC Live 09/28/72
03. The Great Society Band - March Of The Astronauts / single
04. Cosmic Jokers - Intergalactic Radio Guri Broadcasting / Planeten Sit-In
05. Buck Gooter - Ain't That Martian / Animals
06. The Cramps - Mystery Plane / Song The Lord Taught Us
07. DEVO - Space Junk / Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!
08. Sleep – Dragonaut / Sleep's Holy Mountain
09. Billy Lee Riley - Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll / Lux And Ivy's Favorites Vol. 08
10. Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan / Paranoid
11. Jimi Hendrix - The Stars That Play with Laughing Sam's Dice / South Saturn Delta
12. The Rezillos - Flying Saucer Attack / Can't Stand the Rezillos
13. Suicide - Frankie Teardrop (alt.) / Blast First promo CD
14. The Misfits - I Turned Into A Martian / 12 Hits From Hell
15. Joe Bussard & Oscar Myers - The Flight Of Astronaut John Glenn / Fonotone Records
16. Lydia Kavina - Dance In The Moon / Music From The Ether
17. Sexual Milkshake - Live On The Surface Of The Moon / Sing Along In Hebrew
18. Farflung - The Way The Sky Is / The Raven That Ate The Moon
19. Jad Fari & Noafumi Ishimaru - Man In The Moon / Half Monster
20. There's A Moon In The Sky (Called The Moon) / The B-52's
21. John Coltrane – Jupiter / Interstellar Space
22. Lungfish - Astronaut's Prayer / Pass & Stow
KCRW Broadcast 20
[PLAYLIST GOES HERE]