Fanatics! Tonight’s show is for maniacs! It’s all over the place and I think that yet again, we have done the impossible. Another two hours of excellence, diversity and good times.
I thought we would work in high contrast in our first hour. You will find the familiar, the rockin’ along with the more esoteric. The band Vapaa, I don’t know much about them but have been listening to their records a lot lately. More great and out there music from Finland. I think Vapaa is a collaboration of three people. The only one I am slightly familiar with musically is Jari Koho from his work with Jani Hirvonen in the group Aan. All these names and band family trees are hard for me to keep together, so I just listen and make notes of the titles because I really don’t know where I am with all this stuff. A lot of the names of the albums and songs I can’t even pronounce but they sure sound good.
I think it’s been awhile since we tapped Ween’s mighty country album. What a masterstroke of an idea they had with that one. It’s one of the most Ween records they ever did. What a band.
Starting hour two with a Pharmakon track will set some back but we must be bold. That’s a great album. You can find it on the Sacred Bones label, same with the Slug Guts album we pull from tonight.
Steven R. Smith has some new recordings out and you can find them here: http://www.worstward.com/
Smith records under a few different handles. One of them is Ulaan Khol. Tonight, we check out a track from Ulaan Khol’s new Los Angeles EP. This one and his other new one, Ulaan Passerine are great. Ulaan Passerine is about 67 minutes of serious guitar work. It’s hard to describe what he does. Put it this way, if you like the more adventurous aspects of John Fahey, you might like Smith’s stuff. Speaking for myself, I can’t find one of his records I don’t like. I have been on some long Steven R Smith sits in the last few months. Check him out if you can.
Tonight, we finish off the Ty Rex EP. Side two is as good as last week’s side one. Several days ago, Fanatic Chris sent in a couple of songs from a band called Cripple Bastards. Both of them are so good, I couldn’t decide which one to play so I figured we should hear both of them.
Fanatics, I will be at the Roskilde Festival next week. I will be doing a show on all four days and will be flying out of Denmark on Monday, so next week’s show is already in the can. It’s a good one that I think you will like. I made it at the office and sent it to Engineer X and he glued it all together and we are good to go. The week after, we will be right back at it, live with you on the graveyard shift.
It’s a great show tonight. I hope you dig it.
Tune in and STAY FANATIC!!!
E–mail address for me: email@example.com
Follow me on Twitter: @henryrollins
01. Thin Lizzy - Are You Ready / Thin Lizzy: At The BBC
02. The Stooges - Down On The Street / Fun House
03. The Ramones - Judy Is A Punk / Ramones
04. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Yo-Yo Man / Eddy Current Suppression Ring
05. The Germs - Caught in My Eye / Germs Complete
06. David Thomas & Two Pale Boys - New Orleans Fuzz / 18 Monkeys On A Dead Man’s Chest
07. This Heat – Slither / Made Available: John Peel Sessions
08. Vapaa – Valosaaste / Tilat
09. Generation X - No No No! / single
10. Sculptress - 25th Word / Sculptress
11. The Saints - Wild About You / (I’m) Stranded
12. Ween - Help Me Scrape The Mucus Off My Brain / 12 Golden Country Greats
13. Flin Flon – Chicoutimi / 2000 Teenbeat Sampler
14. Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Ali Baba’s Camel / Gorilla
15. Rites Of Spring – Spring / Rites Of Spring
16. Lair Of The Minotaur - Metal Titans / Evil Power
01. Pharmakon Pitted / Abandon
02. Slug Guts - Scum / Playin’ in Time With the Deadbeat
03. Ulaan Khol - Sunset, 2am / Los Angeles EP
04. The Horrors - Death At The Chapel / The Horrors
05. Melt-Banana - Seesaw Semiology / 13 Hedgehogs (MxBx Singles 1994-1999)
06. Minutemen – Cut / Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat
07. Ty Segall - Woodland Rock / Ty Rex I
08. Ty Segall - Salamanda Palaganda / Ty Rex I
01. Ty Segall - Elemental Child / Ty Rex I
10. Lightnin’ Hopkins - Long Gone Like A Turkey Through The Corn / The Tradition Masters
11. VUM - The Jungle / Night Sun
12. Cripple Bastards – Jurisdictions / Your Lies In Check
13. Cripple Bastards - Vital Dreams / Your Lies In Check
14. Sort Sol - Boy in the Fire / Dagger and Guitar
15. The Adverts – I’ll Walk You Home / Singles