The recession is wreaking havoc with state governments all over the country by vastly reducing the revenues they depend on from taxes on property, sales and income. Last night, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, North Carolina, Ohio and California failed to pass balanced budgets by the start of the fiscal year.
Will the Recession Push State Governments to Shut Down?
- Steve Fehr - Reporter, Stateline.org
- Evan Halper - Los Angeles Times - @evanhalper
- Jerry Nickelsburg - economics professor and director of the UCLA Anderson Forecast
- Emily Wagster Pettus - Mississippi State Capitol Reporter, Associated Press - @EWagsterPettus
- Dean Martin - Treasurer, State of Arizona
- Nicholas Johnson - Director of State Fiscal Projects, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Tad DeHaven - Budget Analyst, Cato Institute