With state budgets facing massive shortfalls, several Republican Governors are demanding concessions from public employee unions. Some union officials accuse the Governors of playing politics with Democratic supporters. In Wisconsin, unions have agreed to pay more for healthcare and retirement, but not to give up their bargaining rights. The Senate's minority Democrats have left the state to prevent a vote in the legislature. In a recorded telephone call, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker appeared to confirm it's about more than the budget.
Are Republican Governors Union Busting?
- Michael Fletcher - Washington Post - @Fletchpost
- Jonathan Weisman - New York Times - @jonathanweisman
- Carroll Doherty - Pew Research Center for the People and the Press - @CarrollDoherty
- Steven Malanga - Senior Fellow, Manhattan Institute
- Nelson Lichtenstein - University of California, Santa Barbara - @UCSBHistory